How I Enjoy Variety

Variety. It's a word that has been crossing my mind frequently. "Variety is the spice of life" is a cliche often heard, but what exactly does variety look like? Lately, it looks a lot like my life.

Are you a reader? Does a good book beckon you to leave the daily routine and escape to another world, even if just for a little bit? Can the thought of reading the next chapter motivate you to complete the next task awaiting your attention? Or are you like me? A good book? So long, see you. Where's Mama? Honey! Where are you? Mama's reading. Oh-h-h-h. It doesn't matter if you are the type of reader who loses themselves in a book and doesn't return until its completion or one who shows restraint and moderation in their indulgence. There isn't anything like a good book. As long as I have been able to read, I have spent many hours reading my way through. I remember a time I checked out quite a few larger books to read at the local library. A new librarion was on duty and wasn't sure that I could read so many books. My mother and I assured her that I could, so she let me try. After returning ALL of the books long before their due time, I wasn't ever questioned again. Reading was my "thing". It was the first thing I can recall excelling at. The praise that I received for reading so well at such a young age started me on the journey of reading, but it was the ability to travel places and experience new things through each new book that kept me hooked. Bored? Who could possibly bored if there is a book available?

This post isn't supposed to be about reading though. It's about variety. A variety that is evidenced through the books that I am currently reading. (That's how I got on the reading rabbit trail.) Here they are: The Bible, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, Restoring Your Shield of Faith by Chuck D. Pierce and Robert Heidler, Fields With God by Lorraine Curry with Jean Hall, Apple Cider Vinegar by Paul C. Bragg and Patricia Bragg, Easy Homeschooling Techniques, Easy Homeschooling Companion, and Easy Homeschooling Curriculum all by Lorraine Curry. There is also a stack of other classics upstairs waiting for me to open them. The content of these readings is vastly different yet each of them pertain to a specific area of my life.

Just as my book pile is filled with variety, the events of my life are unfolding in an almost dizzying splendor. There have been seasons of unchanging routine as I spent day after boring day doing the exact same uninteresting thing. Right now, however, such is not the case. Every day holds a vast array of new and different activities. The graduation of our eldest child, the first branding dinner in our new home, continued work on the house, siding on the house, children traveling and being gone, on and on the list goes. If you are an adventurous sort, this probably sounds marvelous. If your preference runs towards routine and consistency, it most likely appears quite horrific. Either way, I'm not bored. Nor do I have the luxury of an off day. There simply hasn't been time. Please notice that I didn't say there wasn't time for a day off. There is not time for an off day where I allow myself to feed my flesh.

Recently I asked the Lord to teach me how to crucify my flesh. Guess what? He is answering me! Guess what else? I am loving it! There aren't enough words to express my gratitude to Him for making me more like Himself. The Holy Spirit is teaching me more every moment of every day. I am being kept in His care and led in His paths. It is good. It is God. I am "doing" step by step, from glory to glory. God is so good. Learning of Him and His ways is one of the largest lessons in variety I have ever studied. As much as I thought I loved the Word before, I love it and crave it even more now. My very life depends on its every word. I am discovering that not only does God's creation contain great variety. The avenues He provides for me to escape the call of the flesh are endless. At times it may mean leaving the room. Often, escaping the grips of temptation is as simple as keeping my mouth closed. Too many times I have looked for and sought a great, spiritual answer from Heaven when all I needed to do was get out the sidewalk chalk or start singing and dancing a silly tune. My Heavenly Father didn't make my life dull and dreary. I'm the one that does that. Thank You Jesus for revealing to me the spiciness of Your delicious variety.

Well, another opportunity to walk in the Love of God that has been shed abroad in my heart. (Romans 5:5) Nothing like parenting to point us to the cross. Nothing like a hot day and a cranky little one to tempt the flesh. Praise the Lord. Greater is He that is in me. He has given me everything I need for life and Godliness. (2 Peter 1:3) I am under the shelter of His wings (Psalm 91) and no temptation has overtaken me but such as is common to man....and He has also provided a way of escape. (1 Corinthians 10:13) Today's escape is coming to us in form of nice, cold glasses of peach tea for horselover and I as the two littles take a snippet of a nap.

Variety, once upon a time I was so afraid of it. Now, I savor and relish every bit. God is good.

FYI - I had never read Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen before. It was with some trepidation that I began the read. Once I got the hang of the older English, I didn't want to put it down. What a delightful combination of real life! I can't wait to begin the next classic.

Popular Posts