Fabulous Friday & Valentine's

Fabulous Friday---a day late.  Have I mentioned that the beginning of the new year found me with an urge to decorate our home?  That "do something new and different" bug didn't just bite me in the decorating department either.  That rascally little bugger just plain bit me.  Every area of my life was turned upside down and right side up again as I spent the first few weeks of the new year unpacking and organizing  various areas around the home. 
 
With Valentine's Day rapidly approaching (2 more days), I want to share my favorite Valentine. Ever.  Using a piece of limestone rock from my great grandparents farm, My Beloved carved our initials inside of a heart into the rock and filled in the carved area with black paint so they could be seen. I.LOVE.IT!  Of course the obvious reason why I love it is because My Beloved made it for me himself.  The next reason why I love it is because I get to see it every day.  I'm not left wondering what to do with it or how to preserve it as I am with other traditional Valentines.  Every single day I get to see a visual reminder of My Beloved's love for me.  It also fits in perfectly with our Rustic Random Elegance decor.  (How do you like the name invented to describe our decorating style?)
 
Are you one of the many last minute loved ones wondering what to get your sweetheart for Valentine's Day---before Monday?  Does the thought of purchasing the traditional box of candy or big shiny balloon bore you?  Are you without any extra moolah to buy something?  It's definitely time to think outside of the traditional Valentine box.  Consider creating a one-of-kind love note.  Don't have carvable rock laying around?  What do you have?  Look around.  A visually appealing log with your initials carved out might provide the perfect spark.  Painting your message of love on smooth rocks or single word messages on larger pebbles are other options as well. 
 
Your Valentine not into decorating with natural objects? Non-traditional Valentines come in many different forms and sizes.  For the sake of time and space, this post will only list a few: 
  • "I Love You" spelled out in lights in the yard outside, 
  • a Valentine cut-out backlit in the front yard (early morning or late evening is best for this one), * further instructions can be obtained via email youcanlivelargeonless@gmail.com
  • a candle-lit bubble bath prepared and waiting (rose petals could be scattered around), ice/snow sculpture,
  • using a spray bottle filled with food-colored water, spray Valentine's message in snow in yard (make it BIG),
  • a basket filled with special indulgences personally selected just for the recipient,
  • a coupon promising to only use a sweet, loving voice and discuss pleasant topics for the entire day (we ought to do this anyway-gotta start somewhere-might as well be on Valentine's),
  • a love letter (write it yourself using your own handwriting),
  • put together a CD featuring favorite songs, even if it isn't your favorite music
  • make slideshow on the computer of you and your Beloved - your favorite song could be added as background music,
  • a candlelit picnic of your favorite (non-messy) finger foods spread out on the living room floor.(make sure there are plenty of pillows and cushions to lean on for comfort)
  • pack of scrapbook supplies for a scrapper.
  • Heart-shaped food - your Valentine's favorites of course
  • A champagne bucket of milk on ice with champagne glasses.  Make sure not to forget the cookies to nibble as you sip your milk.
No matter how you convey your affections on Valentine's and throughout the year, consider thinking outside the box of tradition and tell your Beloved "I Love You. You are important to me." in a way that means most to them.  The best traditions were begun when someone did something that hadn't ever been done before.  Here's to Living Large on Less fabulously, even on Valentine's Day.  Blessed Mama
 
 
--
 

Popular Posts