Batching - Timesaving Technique

Batching is a timesaving technique featured in this article: How to Use Batching to Become More Productive. Imagine my surprise when reading through the article and realizing that what I do to stay motivated while working is an actual technique with an actual name, batching. Go figure! Makes me wonder what else we "just do" in our lives that might be motivational and helpful to others. Often, ok usually, it is the smallest and the simplest things that make the biggest difference. I'm sure that there are many things every person does, every day that others would be blessed to know about and put to use in their own lives. My mom taught me to reward myself for a difficult, or unpleasant task well done by reading a chapter out of a good book. Knowing that reading time was coming was good motivation for completing the task. Being able to read more than a chapter was even greater motivation for completing all of the day's tasks. The Fly Lady at www.flylady.net teaches a technique similar to batching. She recommends working at a task in 15 min. segments using a timer as well as working for 45 minutes on larger jobs followed by 15 min. with your feet up drinking water. Then move on to the next job and work another 45 min. with a 15 min. rest and water break. Very similar to batching indeed. Whatever the technique used to accomplish our work and manage our time more effectively, there seems to be a factor that is consistent with almost all of them, the use of a timer. The shape and size of the timer truly isn't important; even though a tomato-shaped timer would be fun. (You'll have to click on the link and read the article.) Utilizing the time we've been given and making the most of it is another aspect of learning to live in true Abundance. I'm thinking it might be more effective for me to set the timer for my reading so that I have enough time in my day left to work. *chuckles* Yes, timer for reading - and computer - ready? set? GO!

Popular Posts