Blessed 5778!

Rosh Hashanah begins this evening. There are two very imperfect loaves of challah bread cooling in the kitchen, and a brisket is sending out wafts of deliciousness as it cooks as well. A chai honey cake is sitting all pretty as it waits for dessert time. There was another honey cake, but it didn't come out of the pan well last night. Since it fell to pieces, it couldn't be served to company. Therefore, it became dessert for us last night after supper. It was delicious.

While Rosh Hashanah is about more than food, something about the preparation has captured my attention.  For the first time since beginning our family's observance of God's Seasons aka feasts, I did not stress even a little about everything being just so. I have thoroughly enjoyed preparing the cakes and bread for our feast even though neither turned out exactly perfect.

The challah loaves are beautiful, but I am fairly certain they are not technically supposed to be beautiful in such a "rustic" way. At least none of the pictures online have such a decidedly rustic beauty about them.
Not only are the bread loaves imperfect, but they were made with a method that uses a ziplock bag! Not one bowl was used in the making of those loaves. Not one. Guess what! The sky is still above us, and the ground is still firm beneath our feet. Not one thing or person was negatively affected because I tried something that seemed a little "iffy" to me, and I don't feel like a failure because I took a shortcut and my bread looks less than perfect. That in and of itself is amazing.

For those wondering, the plastic bag method was convenient, but I have another recipe tucked away to try next time. The new recipe uses a bowl. Besides desiring a well-oiled bowl for my dough to raise in, I also want to try several different ways of braiding the loaves. Not only that, but I want to try braiding the regular bread dough recipe we usually use for homemade bread too. I think I sense a bread braiding phase beginning. Do you? Can't you envision a Thanksgiving table with loaves of braided bread spreading their glossy beauty about? How charming would a basket of tiny loaves of braided bread be alongside a tureen of soup? Of course I want the bread to be delicious, but if it looks pretty too, so much the better.

Anyway...today is new, a new year, a new season, new. We are beginning this new tonight with a simple meal shared with family and friends celebrating God's goodness to His children. Some say gathering around the table is a sacred act. That when we gather together in the name of Jesus, something amazing takes place. I am not an expert, but I do know that most of my fondest memories involve the gathering of family and friends, and that when we were gathered, we shared a meal. I have also been learning about Sabbath rest for several months. Sometimes an actual stopping of work is unable to take place, but we can make an intentional stop in our hearts to make Christ the totality of our focus. This brings a Sabbath rest to my inner being.

Somehow, I sense that tonight as we gather around our table and place our focus completely on God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, we will experience more of God's new along with a Sabbath rest. That something amazing will take place as we give thanks and break bread together. Something about what I am sensing imparts an inner peace that allows my shoulders to relax and my thoughts to be calm. It also prompts me to stand behind each chair at my table and with my hands resting on the back of each chair lovingly lavish each one with prayer for whoever will sit there this evening. These prayers may be the most important part of the evening's preparations. For what good will delicious bread and brisket be to my family without a loving peaceful place to sit and find rest?

The influence of a woman is immense. May the influence I have be always and ever to the glory of God. May my home literally be infused with His love, peace, and grace. May all who enter and all who depart experience the love of God made real. Some may doubt whether ordinary bread and meat can speak of the love of God. As for me, I have no doubt concerning the loving song ordinary things sing when touched by God. May the words from the book of Joshua, "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" be lived out fully in our home tonight and every night.

Happy Rosh Hashanah 5778!
Abundantly Blessed






Popular Posts