Books to Read

It has been a very long time since a post of new reads was published here at Abundance House. A few may have been forgotten and missed, but we will do our best to include as many as we can remember. Several of these books have been used for schooling, but are such informative reads and have expanded my understanding of history so much that I am including them along with the other reads. These are the books we have read since beginning school in mid August.

Streams of Civilization vol. 1 & 2 by Mary Stanton and Albert Hyma
     These books are written in more of a textbook style but provide such a thorough scope of world history from creation to modern times that anyone who read them would benefit. My Beloved says he thinks they should be required reading for everyone. I am using them to glean the high points of history for our Promiseland Academy students, but they will be reading them for themselves in late middle school and/or early high school.

What Really Happened in Ancient Times  compiled by Terri Johnson
     This book is a compilation of stories about individuals who lived during this period of history. Each story is written by a different author.

What Really Happened in the Middle Ages compiled by Terri Johnson
     This book is a compilation of stories about individuals who lived during this period of history. Each story is written by a different author.

The Story of the World History for the Classical Child Volume 1: Ancient Times - From the Earliest Nomads to the Last Roman Emperor by Susan Wise Bauer
     I read the chapters that corresponded best with our history lessons, but will be reading the others for next year.

The Story of the World: the Middle Ages History for the Classical Child Volume 2: The Middle Ages - From the Fall of Rome to the Rise of the Renaissance by Susan Wise Bauer
      I read the chapters that corresponded best with our history lessons, but will be reading the others for next year.

Mystery of the Roman Ranson by Henry Winterfeld - a child's book but full of so much fun!

The Golden Goblet by Eloise Jarvis McGraw

God King: A Story in the Days of King Hezekiah by Joanne Williamson - one of our new favorite authors - We want to read all of the books she has written!

Hittite Warrior by Joanne Williamson

Mara Daughter of the Nile by Eloise Jarvis McGraw

No Woman So Fair by Gilbert Morris - from the Lions of Judah Series
     I read the books from this series on my own, but was greatly blessed by the way they coordinated with what the children were learning in school at the time I was reading them. It was as if I was receiving continued education outside of class. Love it when God does that!

Heart of a Lion by Gilbert Morris - from the Lions of Judah Series
     I read the books from this series on my own, but was greatly blessed by the way they coordinated with what the children were learning in school at the time I was reading them. It was as if I was receiving continued education outside of class. Love it when God does that!

With You All the Way by Max Lucado

The Great and Terrible Quest by Margaret Lovett - We SO enjoyed this book! It was chosen as our favorite read aloud from the Middle Ages unit.

The  History of the Ancient World from the Earliest Accounts to the Fall of Rome by Susan Wise Bauer
     I am reading this during my own time. I purchased it to deepen my understanding of ancient times so I could better lead the lessons during our learning sessions. I ought to have purchased it much earlier than I did. We have completed not only our unit on ancient times but the ones on the Middle Ages, The Renaissance, and the Reformation as well, and I am still reading. It is very thorough, but the children's version is much more interesting. I was hoping the book would be written in the same story format as the children's book but with more information. Oh well. It is still interesting and I can always benefit from further learning, even if it doesn't coordinate with what the children are currently studying.

Nebraska's Living Water: 20th Century Assemblies of God by Elisabeth James Lemp and Glenn W. Gohr

Everybody Always Becoming Love in a World Full of Setbacks and Difficult People by Bob Goff - in the middle of - a favorite for sure!

The Rock, The Road, and the Rabbi My Journey into the Heart of Scriptural Faith and the Land Where it all Began by Kathi Lee Gifford with Rabbi Jason Sobel - still reading this one too:) Enjoying it immensely.






Popular Posts