New Reads at the Start of a New Year

The beginning of a new year always seems as if it ought to be filled with more reading of actual ink and paper books.

Here are the new reads of 2020, so far:

  • When God Made the World by Matthew Paul Turner - great book for a baby gift!!! This book is at the top of the list because it may be my new most favorite book. I have added it to the stash of books I am collecting to read to my new grandbaby, and other grandbabies in the future. To me, this just seemed like a book grandmama needs on her bookshelf.  
  • Only You Can Be You by Nathan and Sally Clarkson - super great baby gift idea! This one I got  for my youngest man, but it will be perfect for a grandmama to read to her grandbaby too:) OR maybe Uncle Shark can read it to his new niece after she comes.
  • In the Middle of the Mess by Sheila Walsh - finally, someone steps out bravely and opens up
  • The Emotionally Healthy Woman, Eight Things You Have to Quit to Change Your Life by Geri Scazzero - educating myself about emotional health and this book is helping
  • Cheaper by the Dozen by Frank B. Gilbreth Jr. and Ernestine Gilbreth Carey - hilarious! an oldie but a goodie!
  • Sabbath Society Circles: Volume One by Shelly Miller - immersing myself further into the truth of Sabbath. It is the perfect companion when learning about emotional health.
We have been studying the Colonization and Renaissance and Reformation periods of history. Here are the books we came back to after Christmas Break (We have enjoyed every single one.):

  • I, Juan de Pereja by Elizabeth Barton de Trevino
  • The Shakespeare Stealer by Gary Blackwood
  • Master Cornhill by Eloise Jarvis McGraw
  • Mary, Bloody Mary by Carolyn Meyer
We have also read some of the Hank the Cowdog books, just for fun. They are really silly and funny, but do contain quite a bit of slang/swearing. I left some of it out when reading aloud. These books intend to portray ranch-living and do so with great accuracy, hence the slang and swearing. While the language is perfectly western in nature, I didn't come across any vulgarity or profanity. The books we have read have been completely family friendly. If you want a hilarious read for late elementary through middle school level set within an authentic ranch setting, these are perfect. Just don't expect much depth; these are more for entertainment purposes.


Some that are still being read, or read again:
  • A Family Shaped by Grace, How to Get Along with the People Who Matter Most by Gary Morland - Somedays I wonder if I will ever get this one walked out!
  • Rivers of Grace, Raising Children by the Spirit Rather than the Law by Mark and Patti Virkler - Soaking up this message through this book and others. Part of a journey towards loving my children as Christ loved me, with grace and compassion.
  • The Lifegiving Table, Nurturing Faith Through Feasting, One Table At A Time by Sally Clarkson - This book has pieces of paper sticking out all over it; I refer to it time and time again for both recipes and wisdom.
  • The Lifegiving Home, Creating a Place of Belonging and Becoming by Sally and Sarah Clarkson - A mother and daugther sharing their passion for creating a lifegiving haven of love and grace. I wish I could soak up their gracious manners by reading this over and over. 
That's the latest on the reading front! There are a number of books and/or series that have been coming to mind as candidates for a re-read in the near future too. It seems as if perhaps it would be a good season for reminding myself of what I already know, and there are a number of "old friends" who have come to mind. We'll have to see if we find them on future reading lists.

Popular Posts