The Word Emulate

One week ago today we celebrated the life of my Grandma.  The minister who conducted the service used a term that I don't often hear.  He said that it was now the responsibility of the children and grandchildren to "emulate" the way she lived her life.  Ever since the funeral service, I have been wanting to look up that word. I immediately wanted to get into the thesaurus and dig around a little in order to discover the full meaning of the word.

Here is what I've found.  According to the American Dictionary of the English Language by Noah Webster 1828, EMULATE  "1. To strive to equal or excel, in qualities or actions; to imitate, with a view to equal or excel; to vie with; to rival. Learn early to emulate the good and the great. Emulate the virtues and shun the vices of distinguished men.
3. To imitate; to resemble."

EMULATION
"2. An ardor kindled by the praise-worthy examples of others, inciting to imitate them,..."

Emulate isn't a word I often hear used.  After searching the matter out further, I find that I do indeed long to emulate my grandmother.  She lived life to the fullest in many, many ways.  As much as I desire to emulate my grandmother, however, I'm discovering that I long to emulate God my Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit even more.  James 1:17 says that every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. 

Grandma was a gift to me, a gift from God.  She loved life, laughter, music, and children.  Her paintings and quilts are true works of art.  As beautiful as the paintings and quilts that Grandma created are, I have to say that I think her true masterpieces are found in her children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren.  Priceless treasures abound through the lives of those she nurtured and touched.  The most beautiful music revealed in the joyful laughter they share. 

Thankfulness to God for allowing me the distinct privilege of being born into the family He placed me in overflows as I contemplate all of the beauty He has enriched my life with.  In His infinite wisdom, The Father placed within my heart a love of all things beautiful and a great desire to create a place of beauty and quiet rest for those I love just like He does for His loved ones.  Then He placed me exactly where this longing desire would be nurtured and developed so that I could fulfill His ultimate purpose for my life.  Amazing, that's all I can say. It's amazing  how the One, True, Omnipotent, Omniscient, Omnipresent, Eternal Creator of the Universe puts so much care and time into every, single minute detail of His creation's lives.  How He places a man and woman together knowing that they will produce offspring who will be joined by others who will continue to produce offspring with His exact characteristics needed to fulfill His divine purpose.  Not only this, but that His purpose is always, totally for our ultimate good.  Amazing. 

The day after my grandmother's funeral was my beloved's and my wedding anniversary.  The longer my beloved and I are together, the more clearly I see that we are indeed created specifically for each other.  That we are a "perfect fit".  Yes, this "perfect fit" can sometimes be more painful than sheer bliss when either one of us looses focus, but nevertheless, we are literally "made for each other".   It truly doesn't matter if the season of our marital union is the freezing chill of winter or the balmy sunshine of summer.  Whatever the season, we are destined to be together.  In a world that so rarely celebrates the traditional marriage of one man and one woman, forever, until death us do part, a couple could easily miss out on the potential healing and comfort available in a Godly union. 

In a few months, I will have been with my husband the same amount of time I spent in the home of my father and mother.  That is a sobering thought to me, all of those years.  The sad thing is that I am able to see so clearly all of the opportunities for love I missed.  Sadder still are those times when I turned my back and refused God's way of love choosing to follow my own selfish path instead.  So many hours, minutes, months, and years that I have wasted on myself when I could have been experiencing heaven on earth with my beloved.  At our house we have felt impressed that 2010 is to be a new year for us, a year of complete turn around and breakthrough.  There is a surging in our breasts that this is "the year" we have been waiting for so long.  This is the place we have been diligently and faithfully striving towards.  For me personally, this is when I die to myself and my way and learn what it means to live completely in the fullness of the way of the Lord.  This is the time for me to lay down my own desires and seek instead to fulfill those of my Heavenly Father.  He gave His all for me.  I will, I must give my all for Him.  It is a year to walk more closely to Him than I ever dreamt possible.  This is the season when I will learn what He wants me to learn and become what He longs for me to become. 

What time is it?  It is NOW!  It is a NOW time, with a NOW word, and a NOW season. 
No
Other
Way
There truly is no other way than the Lord's that will work.  His way, His methods, His plans, His purposes, His intentions, His provision, His comfort, His Love, only His will do.  Any attempt that I may make on my own will miserably fail.  It just won't work without Him.  The time for casual church attendance and socializing Bible Study get togethers is past.  It is a NOW time for me to walk in the fullness of the Holy Spirit with His power and might.  The signs that follow them that believe will follow me.  The scriptures that describe the behavior of followers of Christ, must describe me.  This is no time for fear or lazy slothfulness.  This is the time for right NOW.  This time that God has been preparing me for my entire life is, you guessed it, NOW. 

The urgency is so strong inside of me.  Every day, every night, I sit and marvel at all God is revealing and showing to me.  Those things that used to confuse me He explains clearly.  Habits and behaviors I have struggled with for years are being explained so that I can repent.  In prayer, I asked the Lord to teach me, to show me, to reveal myself to me so that I could repent.  He is, and I am ever so glad for it. 

I long to emulate Him.  He is loving, kind, strong, just, and perfect.  The parenting skills I need, He is. Those communication skills I lack, He is.  When I don't understand my beloved, He is.  When I have been hurt, He is.  When I am confused, He is.  When I am alone, He is.  When a friend's touch is absent, He is. When laughter is gone, He is.  When there is great joy, He is.  When the sun shines, He is. When the sky is dark, He is.  When the pantry is full, He is. When it is empty, He is.  He is ever present, all knowing, all powerful, eternal. He is.  He always has been. He always will be.  If I'm lost, He is the way.  When lies abound, He is the truth.  When all seems dead, He is the life. He is. What about when I mess up? He is.  When I'm not perfect, He is.  Yes, He is.  He is exactly what I need, what I want, and what I will need and want tomorrow.   And HE LOVES ME.  "Hallelujah what a thought Jesus' full salvation brought!"

Emulate - to imitate.  Yes, I long to emulate everything about Him for there is no other way. 

Popular Posts