Growing Up

Growing up, why does it have to be so difficult for me sometimes? Growing up spiritually is even more challenging than growing up physically. It would be so much easier if *BAM!* I were grown up. Well, OK, it would be quicker. Every experience and lesson in life is a building block for the next phase of growth. I am so thankful that I was taught to build my life on the Lord Jesus Christ. My foundation is stable and secure; it won't crumble or break. Nancy Campbell said it so well in a portion of her latest Above Rubies Devotional. I'm going to share what she said. You are going to want to head on over to www.aboverubies.org and read the rest of the devotional for yourself. Here is

"3. Grow Up

1 Peter 2:2 says, "As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby." It's the way to grow in your Christian walk. If a child does not grow physically it is because they have something medically wrong with them. A person who doesn't grow in the Lord also has a problem--usually because they lack the nutrition that comes from the Word.*

As we grow, we'll wean from milk to devouring strong meat. Hebrews 5:13-14 says, "For every one that useth milk is unskillful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe. But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age." Don't limit your children to Bible stories only. Raise them on the richness of the Word so they can learn to chew the meat as well. (Read Colossians 3:16)"

Colossians 3:16 AMP says, "Let the word [spoken by] Christ (the Messiah) have its home [in your hearts and minds] and dwell in you in [all its] richness, as you teach and admonish and train one another in all insight and intelligence and wisdom [in spiritual things, and as you sing] psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, making melody to God with [His] grace in your hearts."

I love the part about letting the word spoken by Christ the Messiah having its home in our hearts and minds and dwelling in us in all its richness! Dwelling in me in all its richness, how far I have to go. There is still so much growing to do. This is something I have been discovering more and more lately. Everywhere I turn I am learning more that I have to learn. Did that even make sense? It's so easy to lose focus and become fixed on the wrong thing. Oh, it might not be a bad thing that I become fixed on; it just isn't the right thing. It isn't the word spoken by Christ the Messiah. What good is it for me to clean, organize, and beautify my earthly home if I don't make time to allow Christ's Word to have its home in my heart? None and believe me, it shows when I misplace my focus. All around me know and sometimes they even suffer for it.

With such a full and busy life, even one day out of focus affects the level of peace in our home. Verse 17 of Colossians 3 says it so well, "And whatever you do [no matter what it is] in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus and in [dependence upon] His Person, giving praise to God the Father through Him." In dependence upon His Person, that is the key to growing up. Whatever I do, I must do it in His name and in dependence upon Him. How I need the Lord. Is it any wonder that the Lord placed a verse about total dependence on Him right before verses instructing wives, husbands, and children in their treatment of each other? I think not. In His infinite wisdom, our Heavenly Father knew the only way we obey His Word was if we were in complete dependence on His Person. He is just so good! Even in His Word He perfectly supplies our needs! How I Love You, Lord.

I would like to close this post with an apology. I want to apologize for not posting to A Mother's Rewards more regularly. I could share excuse after quite legitimate excuse, but the truth of the matter is that until yesterday, I had not allowed enough time in my schedule to study the Word deeply enough. This results in a very dry Blessed Mama, and a dry Mama doesn't produce fruit to share with those around her. I can't tell you how wonderful it is to be back in the Word! Even one day without feasting on God's Word dries me up. In these last days, I won't survive without feeding my spirit regularly. None of us will. Here's to growing up in God! Have a Blessed Weekend with those you love and enjoy celebrating Spring's arrival tomorrow.

*Just a quick reminder that Resurrection Sunday and Passover are both coming up soon. Passover is March 30 and Resurrection Sunday is April 4. This year, we are going to attempt our first ever Passover celebration. I am so excited to celebrate Jesus in this new way. Do you celebrate Passover? Leave a comment letting us know what you do. We'd love to hear all about it. Also...I read today of a mother who has solved the Easter/Spring vs. Resurrection Sunday dilemna in her house. She and her children color and hunt Easter eggs, bake and decorate a bunny cake, and all of the other fun, yet secular, parts of the Easter celebration on the first day of Spring. This leaves Resurrection Sunday free to focus on the true meaning. Not only are they able to enjoy a family celebration of Spring's arrival, they are also able to focus exclusively on Christ Resurrection Sunday. It's a win, win situation. After a long, hard winter, Spring's arrival is definitely cause for celebration. Until next week, Blessed Mama

Popular Posts