A Wise Woman Builds Her Home

Before the day gets away from me and all hope of blogging is past, I want to share the address of a beautiful, godly blog.  http://proverbs14verse1.blogspot.com/ blesses me with every new post.  Grace and godliness abound as women are encouraged to embrace the calling of a godly woman.  Not only is the Lord glorified on this blog, but it is a beautiful place to visit as well.  Encouragement is available for the entire family with links to blogs for men and teenagers to click on too.  Don't miss out on this blessing any longer; visit A Wise Woman Builds Her Home, soon.

Several weeks ago, while preparing lessons for school, I had one of my daughters help me gather all of the antique school books we've accumulated throughout the years.  The books are leftovers from a bygone decorating phase of mine. (Said decorating phase could return sometime in the future.  They have a way of doing that around here.)  Wanting our children's education to be rich and full while keeping the expenses few, I was taking stock of material already on hand.  Our grandparents received educations far superior to ours from books such as these.  So why not see if my children could benefit from their content as well?  To my delighted surprise, several of these gems met our curriculum needs perfectly.   As we begin our third week of school I can't help but marvel at God's abundant provision for our school.  Not only have these books allowed us to save hundreds of dollars, the rich literature and completeness of content are daily enriching our lives. 

Have you ever looked in an arithmetic book from the 1930s or 40s?  Seventh and eighth graders were being taught banking and financial information that my recently graduated daughter learned in her high school Business Math course.  At the completion of the eighth grade lessons our 8th grader will not only have reviewed basic math skills, but she will also have learned ample business and banking skills AS WELL AS algebra and geometry skills to sufficiently prepare her for high school Algebra next year. 

Not all of the benefits gained from using these schoolbooks of yesteryear are educational or even financial.  I wish I could adequately describe that little light of surprise in our daughter's eyes when she opened the arithmetic book for the first time and read the names of her great-grandmother and her great-grandmother's older brother.  Knowing that her "Grandma Great" used the exact same math book adds an extra little touch all its own.  Grandma Great's eighth grade education seems much larger after reading through some of her school books too.  If only government schools educated today's eighth graders so thoroughly. 

Arithmetic isn't the only subject brought to life by school books of long ago.  Subjects in the Language Arts are filled to overflowing with literature of quality.  Lessons train students to observe fine art, appreciate literature, and express themselves well in every area of life.  A quick read through of the lessons found an eagerness stirring inside me, much like the excitement before embarking on a grand, new adventure.  To be honest, more than once I have forgotten that I am planning future lessons and almost read through an entire book.  Yes, the literature selections are that beautiful and the lessons that engaging.  I have learned more in the past two weeks than I have in several years.  How dry, dull, and tasteless my textbooks were in school.  Learning was never so rich and varied for my generation as it was for my grandparents, that I know. How pleasant and delightful learning would have been with textbooks such as these.  No wonder my grandmother loved to learn and then later, to teach. 

As you can tell by my going on and on, we have again been blessed by the unexpected at our house.  What seemed to be an effort to save financial resources has ended up freeing us to experience a new season of education.  A rich, treasure trove of learning beckons us to follow, and we willingly follow this new road of old.  Lest I get lost in sentimental wanderings and ramble on any longer, reality is calling in the form of two small children ready for supper.  I can't help but write my thanks to God for His perfect provision and loving care.  See you soon for another sweet visit.

Thank You, Lord for touching my heart and blessing our home with the treasure of antique schoolbooks.  You knew when You brought them to us several years ago that their true purpose was to make our home beautiful, but not just through decor.   You knew that by studying them for school, our home would be made beautiful as we grew more like You from within.  Thank You for leading and guiding in every area of our lives.  Your provision is even more perfect than we know.  You have truly done more than I could think, dream, or even imagine just like Your Word says You are able to do.  In Jesus' name I thank You.  Amen

Popular Posts