Post to Read

Good Morning!
 
The sun is shining, the wind isn't blowing - much, and children are quiet and happy.  It's a good moment!  As a matter of fact, it's the perfect moment to mention a wonderful read.  Emily Freeman of Chatting at the Sky blog shared such a freeing word yesterday that I had to share.  Here it is.  Let me share a small quote, just to whet your appetite.  "It is not okay to live a small story because of fear."  Wow!  It just gets better from there on.  You are definitely going to enjoy your visit at Chatting at the Sky. 
 
Yesterday a few minutes of spare time provided an opportunity for brainstorming possible blog ideas.  The longer the brainstorming lasted, the more ideas popped into view.  Before too much time had been spent a recent encounter with Giggle, my four-year-old, came to mind.  This unexpected conversation between Giggle and I caused me to realize how nice it is to be old-er, not old, old-er.  Please allow me to share the conversation before I explain.
 
"My mind is huge" Giggle says one afternoon. 
 
Surprised at such confidence,  I calmy reply "Oh, who told you that?"
 
"Myself." Giggle answered.
 
This baby has woman's logic down pat.  If the above weren't enough, an earlier conversation drives the point home.
 
While waiting for My Beloved after church one Sunday, Smack dab in the middle of a one-sided conversation with Giggle (most conversations with Giggle are one-sided) she calmly stated that she was the smartest four-year-old kid.  More than a little concerned about Giggle's elevated view of herself, I calmly inquired as to what made her think this.  The truth that Giggle really, truly believed herself to be the smartest 4 year-old kid was quickly realized.  Hmmm, Giggle wasn't being arrogant or superior, just very, very, veeerrrrrrrrrrrry confident.  Houston we have a problem.  How do I inform Giggle that while she has indeed been equipped by God to fulfill His every purpose for her life, she is not to think more highly of herself than she ought?  Older sister is as shocked as I.  This comment is "out there" even for Giggle.  Very carefully, calmly, and gently I began sharing with Giggle that God has blessed her and she is smart, but only God is smartest
 
 "And kids like me" came the reply from those 4 year-old lips.
 
"Giggle.  There is always someone smarter.  That's just the way it is.  There are four-year-olds who play the piano, speak other languages, and know many things you don't know yet." I continued ever so gently.
 
"I speak other languages and play the piano too--in my own way." came her response.
 
A smile is plastered on my mama face, but inside, there is a desperate cry winging it's way to Heaven "Help!  Divine guidance needed - church parking lot - rural America - NOW, please!"  OK, let's try another route.  SUBJECT CHANGE!  "Is that Papa coming?" [My Beloved always says that discretion is the better part of valor;)]
 
Later on, however, when relaying the conversation to Colonel Redeemed, this 17 year-old brother couldn't resist asking Giggle how she was able to be the smartest four-year-old.  "Because God gives me the strength to." was her immediate answer.
 
At that moment a miracle took place.  Colonel Redeemed was rendered speechless.  Chalk one up for Giggle
 
Here's where it is SO much better being old-er.  Several children and a number of years ago, I would have been horrified to hear one of my children utter such a statement.  Immediately I would have been in full blown fix-it mode.  The evil arrogance must be stopped!  I would have, really.  Ahhhh, what a blessed joy and relief to be old-er.  How freeing to have learned that four-year-olds make outlandish announcements and that these announcements signal one thing and one thing only, the child is a child in need of a loving Savior--just like every other child.
 
Knowing Giggle's thoughts is an extra special blessing.  Unknowingly my sweet baby girl has given me a glimpse into her heart.  Having been shown this snippet inside of her, I can better direct my prayers for her as well as the focus of future conversations.  Responding calmly rather than reacting in a passionate torrent tells Giggle that her mama listens to her.  I didn't agree with what she said, nor did I encourage the opinion.  However, remaining by remaining calm, Giggle was able to share, receive a corrective view from mama without being put down or being made to feel diminished or unimportant.  Something I wish I had been better at with her older siblings.  Keeping the focus on God and what He has done and provided helped both Giggle and I retain proper perspective. 
 
Getting old-er.  This might just be a good thing after all. 
 


--
 
 

Popular Posts