Go and Learn What This Means

  Posts from the Past

"Go and learn what this means: I desire mercy [that is, readiness to help those in trouble] and not sacrifice and sacrificial victims. For I came not to call and invite [to repentance] the righteous (those who are upright and in right standing with God), but sinners (the erring ones and all those not free from sin)." Matthew 9:13

"For I desire and delight in dutiful steadfast love and goodness, not sacrifice, and the knowledge of and acquaintance with God more than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6
"And if you had only known what this saying means, I desire mercy [readiness to help, to spare, to forgive] rather than sacrifice and sacrificial victims, you would not have condemned the guiltless." Matthew 12:7

"And if you had only known what this saying means,..." Jesus was speaking to the Pharisees in this portion of Matthew. They were so bound to obeying the letter of the law that they were completely missing the message. How about me? Am I so caught up in daily life that I miss Jesus' message?
Too often I allow daily busyness to distract me from what is necessary. Is this because I don't know what my Lord desires? No, it's because I lose my eternal focus. Precious moments that could be spent with my Heavenly Father are fretted away as piles of diapers and mountains of laundry fill the hours. Being about my Father's business is completely forgotten as I scramble to care for little ones.

How do I find the time to learn the heart of my Lord? Meals have to be prepared. Laundry must be washed. Children must be cared for. All of the daily tasks are necessary. Yet, as important as these things are, none of them are as essential as time spent with my Lord. As a matter of fact, if I fail to walk with God throughout my day, then often the "necessary" tasks don't get done either.

Moments with my master rarely come in long segments of time. Usually they show up as little snippets of conversation throughout the day. Chores of cleaning and scrubbing become times of repentance as I "scrub" away all of the ungodly filth out of my heart. While folding laundry or doing dishes, thanksgiving for God's abundant provision flows. Soothing a fussy baby reminds me of the comforting peace of the Holy Spirit. I can meditate on the blessings He gives His beloved in sleep (Psalm 127:2) as I make the bed.

Every task and chore becomes a "moment with my Master" when my focus is on eternal rather than temporal issues. Maintaining an eternal focus as I travel through each day allows an intimate relationship with the Lord to develop and over time flourish. How I long to obey the words of my Savior and "Go and learn what this means..." Matthew 9:13.

Heavenly Father, in the name of Jesus I pray that my focus will remain fixed on You and Your desires. May your desires become mine own. As I walk in the way You have prepared for me may I be ever mindful of spending moments with You, my Master. Thank you for every opportunity you have given to spend learning and developing an eternal focus on You. In Jesus' name, Amen.

Popular Posts