Circling Back Around

Please rewind fifteen years or so with me. It's somewhere around 2003, and the internet has finally reached the fringes of rural American society. Compared to now, blogs are a new-ish thing, and most of them are about decorating, fashion, or people ranting about their personal lives, soapboxes, etc. Enter me, a 30 something young mother with four children possessing great love and an extremely small household budget. Experience is reported to be the best teacher, and I have spent several years working my way through a crash course in frugality. I can qualify for a doctorate in how to spend very little money.

Let's move forward several years. We're now somewhere around the year 2007. I am still a thirty something mother, now with five children, who is actively living a maximum life using minimal financial resources. Not what we would choose, but it's part of where we are so why not rock it, right? Anyway, being a lover of stories, blogs are now definitely on my radar. Our family may have very limited finances, but we don't want to live in poverty's grip so I intentionally attempt to cultivate a genuinely authentic, rich life for our family. I spend many of my few free minutes clicking link after link after link in search of the most amazing life-changing money-saving wisdom. After all, money-saving is the HOTTEST topic online at this time. Months of clicking links continue to reveal the latest greatest money-saving tips are the way our family has been living for YEARS! Disappointment surges throughout my being time after link-clicking time. Doesn't ANYONE have any new ways to save money?

Then...it hits me... if there aren't any new ways being shared, why not start our own blog? Our family does several things no one has shared on their blogs yet. So, why not share what we already know and practice? Why not help others live as well as they can on little? After talking it over with one of my favorite partners in crime, my oldest daughter, we begin a blog devoted entirely to living life large on less. Well, we are not the world-changing money-saving bloggers we want to be, but we have a lot of fun. Writing for the blog also provides an out-of-the-box way for my daughter to earn language arts credit for high school too so no regrets.

Over a decade later it's 2018, and here I am, still. I'm pushing fifty and my daughter is no longer in high school; it's time for something new. It's time to look long and hard at where we are. We are at the point in time where we will be opening the blogging cupboard, digging out the old, and either throwing it out or making it new.

A family of nine, a few dozen chickens, five cats, and one young dog provide many money-saving opportunities. The cost of living has gone up, and another generation of children around the world are adults living on their own. Saving money is no longer a trending fad. This is good because my daughter and I no longer want to be world-changing money-saving bloggers. Creating a place that provides ideas a person can glean from and use is enough. Whether it teaches something practical like canning, supplies food for the soul, or strengthens the spirit, our posts must be something of use.

The new posts haven't been put together yet. The blogging cupboard is barely open and only a few of the stray papers that fell out have been caught. A lot of sorting, cleaning, and organizing remains. So, whatever this ends up looking like, thank you for being here. You are appreciated.







Popular Posts