Soul Food

 

Beautiful



Beauty, it feeds our soul. We are created in the image of God, and like Him, we are three in one: spirit, soul, body. We are a spirit; we have a soul. Our soul contains our mind, will, and emotions. We live in a body. I keep coming back to this truth throughout the day.  

As I pull weeds out of the flower beds, I look at the beautiful black double hollyhocks and the gorgeous lilies with their dusty rose and deep burgundy blooms. So lovely! A small sigh carries tension out of my body as I gaze at the textures and colors surrounding me. Then, boom! An unbidden thought intrudes: perhaps flowers are overly indulgent in times such as these. Maybe I should grow veggies instead of flowers in this space. Would that perhaps be a better stewardship of this small bit of land in such a time as now? That's what others are doing. They're planting food in every inch of space they can. Am I wasting food space growing flowers? Am I being selfish and foolish growing flowers instead of food? 

While looking down the hill towards the large vegetable garden in which my oldest daughter labors a still small voice softly speaks, "Do you see? I have already provided for the feeding of the bodies. You are providing beauty to feed the soul. I feed the spirits, souls, and bodies of My children. Growing food for the soul is your work right now. Someone else is growing food for the body. Rejoice in your labors; when you feed My children it is the same as feeding Me. Will you do this, daughter? Will you feed the souls of those I bring here? Are you willing to be content providing for souls, or will you insist on 'being practical' and 'making good sense' as men understand these things?"

Immediately all is calm. Thoughts are restored and those lovely blooms are amazingly even more beautiful than before. Of course God provides for all of us; He is good. I don't enjoy flowers because they are beautiful. I enjoy growing flowers because HE made me to enjoy growing flowers. He made me to enjoy growing flowers because He made me to provide food for people's souls. Why do I make life so much harder and more complicated than it really is? God is SO good! Effortlessly, weeding is interlaced with praying and together they become a holy offering of worship transforming my flower bed into a cathedral of praise to the One Who Is and always will be. 

The questions He asked Me extend beyond the flower garden by following me throughout the coming days. Will I work for Him even if the work seems impractical and indulgent? Will I trust He is providing in ways I have not yet understood or know? Am I willing to be content serving and laboring in a field that others may not find useful or necessary? Will I rejoice in my labors so that they may become beautiful acts of worship and praise unto Him, the One I adore? 

The cry of my heart beats strong: Lord, may every thing I do be done for Your glory, according to Your plan and purpose, no matter what. In Jesus' name, Amen.


Popular Posts