Continuous Provision

The direction of my thoughts is rather difficult to follow and impossible to guess sometimes. This morning is one of those times. I received word yesterday evening that my grandmother's body is shutting down. She fell and broke her hip over a week ago. The doctor had informed the family of this possibility, but the actual arrival of it has set my mind to remembering.

I can't seem to think of my grandmother without memories of my grandfather flooding in as well. Even though it's been 18 years since he went Home to Heaven, as quick as it takes a memory to surface, I'm a little girl with my Granddad again. I'm tagging along as he goes here and there. We are getting ice cream at a restaurant whose name I no longer recall. The bald-headed tooth fairy is visiting me. A $20 bill is being slipped to me on my wedding day. I'm driving his Dodge Rampage. I'm listening to his voice say "Well la-de-da!" I can see him rinsing out his coffee cup and setting it by the sink for later. A game of concentration is being played on our kitchen table during coffee after school. He's asking me if I want some "chirry" pie. (That's a little girl's version of cherry pie) I'm standing in his wood shop watching his fingers work the wood. Those fingers, I loved watching his fingers. Something about them captured my attention. I find myself talking about Granddad to my Angel girl. She is such a good listener. She laughs when it's funny, is quietly loving when it's bittersweet. All of a sudden I realize that I've reminisced long enough. Sweet girl, she doesn't need to sit and listen to me go on and on, though she will have more memories to store up because of it.

With that thought, I've come full circle. The rich treasure of memories is what began my verbal memory walk. Yet today, the memories flew more freely. Perhaps it is the looming closeness of my Grandmother's Homegoing or maybe it was the sweetness of the listener, whatever the reason, a new depth was reached as I traveled my journey of memories. For the first time, without completely breaking down, I'm able to say that my Granddad was my hero. He was one of the "dads" that my loving Heavenly Father provided during a time when my own father was working so very hard to provide for my mom, brother, and me. God knew that every girl possesses needs that can only be met by a man who loves her. He also knew that because my dad loved us so much, he was working many hours to provide us with life's necessities. That's what my Granddad did for his family too. He worked very, very hard, just like my dad did to provide for his wife and children.

It's amazing to me that God would bother with me at all let alone take such abundantly good care of me. He truly does meet all my needs. (Philippians 4:19) He made sure that Granddad, or someone, was there to meet the spot only a dad can fill until my own father was able to fill it himself. Yes, my Granddad was my hero. He always will be the hero of my childhood and youth. However, he is no longer the only hero I have. My own, dear father is as well. I hope and pray that my children are able to remember my dad, their Granddad, with love and laughter years from now.

Thankfully, there is room in a woman's life for more than one hero because I can't leave out my dearest beloved, my precious husband. I am a blessed woman. The treasures in my life far surpass mere earthly wealth. Even when I can't see the beginning from the end, the greatest hero of all, my Heavenly Father, knows my rising and my sitting, my coming and my going. He knows the plans He has for me. Plans to prosper me and not to harm me. Plans to give me hope and a future. (Jeremiah 29:11) Life will be hard, sometimes very hard. He told me that in His Word too. Yet, in spite of the difficulties, He provides for all my needs--with the abundant extravagance of love that only He can provide.

Worldy economies will rise and fall as the seasons of life enter and fade. There will be eras of extravagance and periods of less. No matter what my earthly lot appears to be, this one thing I know, I am loved by God, and He cares for me. His love is unfathomable, never-ending, and His provision is immeasurable. He has supplied ALL my needs according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus continually. Never have I been without. Rarely have I been in want. He will never remove someone from my life before it's time. Even though it may seem as if that is what has happened. He loves me completely and thoroughly. His care for me is beyond my wildest dreams and imaginings. He is not limited to what I can see. Nor is He bound to operate within my limited understanding. I am glad. I am glad that He is God and that there is none else besides Him. I am glad He is the beginning and the end, the Alpha and Omega. I am glad that He is God. He is in charge. He knows all, sees all, is in all, and is all. I am glad, so glad. His provision is continuous, and yes, for that I am glad.

Thank You God for Heroes

The ones who let us follow while they lead
They slow their steps when we are tired
Yet sometimes they make us run
They know that if the children set the pace
The race will not be won

Little ones need a loving guide
One whose eyes are clear
Whose handshake is good and firm
Whose words can bring us cheer

Silly times, funny times
Serious times too
All are needed in our lives
So that we our work will do

A firm word and hand
He sometimes will extend
If those that follow in his steps
Get wild or out of hand

The leader who loves
Is the hero who gives
His orders come from Above
The life that He lives
Is the joy that He gives
It is the life of Love

Dear Lord I thank you most this day
For Heroes, those men you did provide
Their steps I often followed
Sometimes I walked beside
Heroes still on this earth
And those waiting on the other side

I have been loved and abundantly fed
From Your extravagant store of grace
You are the greatest Hero
To You I give my Praise

Popular Posts