A Bride

Purposeful, yet random, thoughts have been floating in and out of my mind lately, serious type thoughts that make me get out of the comfy bed of usual thought, rub out the sleepies, and visit new paths of thinking. Thoughts like "Why does that irritate you?" "Why do you feel rejected by that?" "Who said only neatly trimmed yards are beautiful? Did I, the Creator, create neatly trimmed, perfectly manicured lawns? No? So you want this done just because you want it - not because I have led you to. Hmmm, that's interesting." "Do you feel this particular thing ought to be this way because I (God) said it did, or is this just something you are wanting yourself?" "Have you noticed that you only get all worked up about the things that you are attempting to create and run yourself? Those areas of your life that I am leading are peaceful and calm. Have you noticed this?"

Can't begin to express how relieved I am that God led my thoughts to the truth. The only areas of my life that get me all tensed up are the ones I am attempting to run for myself. Amazing. After being made aware of this, I immediately began to sift through various areas in my life. One by one I laid down those areas over which I was trying to play "god" and surrendered them to the lordship of Jesus. Bit by bit tension and stress which I had been completely unaware of  began melting away. Most likely this will be an ongoing process, one I am thankful for.

As piece by piece is intentionally surrendered to God and His will, I find myself thinking about the pure and spotless Bride Christ is returning for. I truly desire to be part of Christ's Bride, but too often I don't really live as if I do. My mouth says one thing while my life screams another. "Oh yes, I trust God. He will never leave me or forsake me, He provides all my needs, but we want to make sure we get lots of extra veggies planted in that garden this spring. You never know what is going to happen." Did God want that garden planted this year? Did I even ask Him or did I instead assume the garden was to be planted because that's what made sense to me? Hasn't He read all of the blogs out there? We're supposed to be frantically doing absolutely everything we can to prepare for whatever is or is not coming. Yea, right. Like that's in the Bible. NOT!

Even though I truly Love Him and long to please Him with my entire being, there are still parts of me that have not come under His complete lordship, a definite lack of trust. I've find myself asking myself this question : "Is that how a bride would talk? Is that how a bride would live? Is that what a bride would do?" There have even been moments when I inwardly rebuke myself by saying (to myself) "That doesn't look much like a bride." Thankfully, a few "Ahhh, now that's the voice of a bride I hear." have shown up lately as well.

The verses in Matthew where the Lord tells us "Come to me you who are heavy laden and I will give you rest." "My yoke is easy, and my burden is light." are also being used as a measuring stick. Lest there be misunderstandings, I am not implying that all hard or difficult things don't come to those living for God. The verse says the yoke He places on us isn't difficult. That's because He is bearing it with us. When we allow Him to lead and guide in every detail of our lives, everything is easier, even when it's hard--really, really hard. Don't ask me to explain it; I can't. I just know it to be so.

Hard times are most definitely all around. Many are being affected by trial after heavy trial. In the middle of the conflict and torment I hear the voice of the Loving Shepherd calling, calling to the sheep of His pasture. He is reminding us of who He is, and who we are in Him. The peace that passes all understanding is just as real now as it ever has been. God says He is God and He does not change; that Jesus Christ is the same, yesterday, today, forever. Psalm 23, Psalm 91, Isaiah 40:11, Isaiah 54:17, Luke 10:19 are all just as much the Words of God today as they have always been. We are just as much His people as we were before. Those things that truly matter have not changed. God and His Word remain; they always will. Through Him we shall do valiantly. It is He who shall tread down the enemy. We'll sing and shout the victory. There will be trials and temptations but do not fear He has overcome the world! 

A bride prepares for her wedding day. Am I preparing for mine, the day Christ returns to capture me and take me home? The time is NOW. THIS is the season for which I have been prepared. There is Kingdom work to be done. Many are hurting, more will hurt. Many are hungry. More will hunger. There are thirsty, there will be more. Jesus in me is everything they need. He has prepared my arms for battle. He has equipped me to meet the task just as He has equipped each of us. My Heavenly Father has works prepared for me to do. I MUST be about my Father's business.

There is no time to be distracted by sin and its manifestation in the earth. "I have been given authority over...all the power of the enemy." Luke 10:19 there isn't time for me to do any less than walk in it. People are dying, and I possess the Way, the Truth, the Life. I MUST BE ABOUT MY FATHER'S BUSINESS. With great intensity the truth of God urges me forward, out of my comfy Christianness and out into the harvest fields. Life as we knew it is over, it's gone. For the Christian, the follower of Jesus, that isn't a bad thing. It isn't bad, only different. Quite the contrary, it is good, very, very good for those who are in Christ Jesus.

Intense urgency propels me forward, yet the works He is leading me towards truly are easy, easy and simple. Stirring up Kool-Aid for a meal instead of "just having water", making dessert without a special occasion, drinking iced tea with Giggle, tickling Mister Man, smiling when I want to growl, praying when I want to rant, stopping and gaining focus when the temptation to rush in tempts hard are but a few of the works brought for me to do. Kingdom work isn't always big, mystical, or majestic; sometimes, often, it's random acts of everyday kindness where none had been before. Makes sense really, in a wedding, it's the little details that make the largest impact. Becoming a bride, one glorious step at a time. A bit like from glory to glory, wouldn't you say?

Popular Posts