I Heart Summer!

Did I mention that I adore summer?  I'm sure I did.  It's true, I do.  Everything about it, well...almost everything.  Big, nasty storms that beat my sweet little plants to smithereens...not so much.  Other than big, nasty storms and tiny nasty mosquitoes, summer is almost perfect. 

Not only is summer almost perfect, it is swiftly passing by.  With that thought in mind, I started composing a mental list of things left to do before crickets begin heralding autumn's soon arrival.  So many sights and sounds of summer are left to appreciate and/or experience! Once I began my mental list making, I found myself eagerly anticipating the next gift the current season has to offer.  Interestingly enough, not one of the experiences added to my mental list required abundant financial resources. Not even one cost more than a few dollars, if any. Proof positive that the richest treasures can't be purchased.

Let's think about the treasures of summer. Can the scent of newly mown grass ever be experienced enough?  What about the aroma of hamburgers and/or hotdogs being cooked on a grill wafting across the back yard?  Would any summer season be complete without at least one afternoon spent on the front porch consuming a red (yes, it has to be red) popsicle as the sticky juice runs down the arm and drips off of the elbow?  S'mores, campouts, water fights, bees buzzing, the scent of wild roses, lawn darts, lightning bugs, intense starlight, brilliant moonscapes, fresh tomatoes, cucumber slices in vinegar, sweating glasses of freshly brewed sun tea/iced tea, the soothing refreshment of a lukewarm shower after a long, hot day of work, simple meals eaten outside, sandy days in the sun, listening to children squeal as they run through the sprinkler, on and on the richest gifts of summer stretch out in a smorgasbord of delight for the senses. 

As a matter of fact, there is a chair on the front porch beckoning to me right now.  First, I have to brew some tea.  Join me?  Feel free to.  Just pause for a moment (or two) to drink in the sights and sounds of summer all around.  Every good and perfect gift comes from above, (James 1:17) and summer is filled to overflowing with them.  Thank You, God!  You did good!

Popular Posts