It's Thursday and We're Thrifty - Or Are We?

More random thoughts on being thrifty, frugal, and all of that jazz make up today's chat.  The main thought being this:  is purging always a good thing?  Hmmm, let's think about this for a moment.  Economic despair and downturn are now commonplace.  Predictions of dire financial situations, economic depressions like the world has never seen, and other hope-killing scenarios abound.  While we at Abundance trust in the Lord and believe in the provision promised in His Word, I'd still like us to stop and think about this for a bit. 

OK, first off.  What if these predictions are accurate?  What is an economic fallout does indeed occur?  Is there a possibility that all of the purgings that we have been performing to simplify our lives might, in some cases, actually do more harm than help?  A couple of summers ago when I began ridding our home of clutter, I was asking myself what items were essential to our family's living.  To my surprise I found myself purging much less of certain items and more of others.   I will attempt to be brief in sharing the results.

Beginning stages of clutter elimination found me assessing which items we possessed in abundance.  When all was said and done, only a few categories rose to the top: books, magazines, craft supplies, dishes, and toys.  Ready to "do battle" on the wicked clutter master I tucked my emotions away and prepared to examine each belonging with the unfeeling, practical face of reality.  Magazines were sorted, carefully gone through, favorite ideas and recipes removed and filed, and remaining magazines either recycled or donated.  An atmosphere of victory over the spirit of packratedness prevailed!  Score one for the gatherer!  She defeated her habit of collecting! 

Clothing out-grown by children, toys, and craft supplies all fell to the same victorious fate of the magazines.  Victory was real.  Clutter was almost gone.  Simplication was almost complete, then I faced the dishes.  As the moment of simplifying my collection of dishes arrived, I went into battle ready to face down and defeat clutter with the same determination that brought down all of the other hot spots in our home.  Victory in this area, however, came slowly, with little to no actual purging taking place.  In fact, the answer that came to the "what is essential to our family's lifestyle?" surprised me greatly.  Honestly, heady with the thrill of purging other areas in the home, the realization that not purging was the correct choice for the dishes was a bit of a let down.  I was going to eliminate all excess and prove once and for all that I AM NO LONGER A PACKRAT.  Yeah well, we'll move on as I share why purging maybe shouldn't be entirely about getting rid of everything that doesn't live and breathe and even some that may. 

A cupboard in my pantry at the time of simplification was devoted to a growing collection of snack sets.  These clear glass and milk glass sets have been used for birthday parties, teas, and other very special occasions.  They are not, however, an essential part of everyday life.  Then a thought came very soft yet strong.  If the economy should ever fail, there is a possibility that there will either not be beautiful paper plates to purchase or that funds may not be available to purchase them with.  What would we use to serve guests on should our daughters get married during such a depression?  Ah, a new perspective, one based in common sense and a thought for the future, one that extends beyond the conveniences of right now.

Simplication continues on a regular basis at the Abundance home.  Now, however, I listen much more closely to the still small voice of God the Holy Spirit as He leads me into the life perfectly created for me.  A life that, for this moment, includes a collection of snack sets.

Popular Posts