A New Teenager Today, Almost Ten Years Ago!

Ten years ago on Sept. 12, 2019 the following piece was posted. The prayer at the end of the post is the same prayer I pray over my dear sweet children today. Every time I think of my "Brookie" I see her smiling little girl face and can't help but smile, even now over nine years later. By the way, Babbling Brooke no longer waits for her very first email account. She has fully entered the modern world of technology. 

As of yesterday, it is official. There are three teenagers in our home. Yes, three. Babbling Brooke aka Miss Mustard Seed turned 13 yesterday. I know this is what every parent says, but "where has the time gone?" Wasn't it just yesterday that this little "Brookie" was a smiling three-year-old running around cheering "Go Big Red!"? How is it that she became such a gracious young woman of God overnight? What a blessing this girl is! No one can make you smile like Brookie. She may be quiet sometimes, but that twinkle in her eyes shouts the secret of God's infectious joy bubbling inside. Babbling Brooke's plain spoken practicality, some refer to it as bluntness, is a sanity-saving balance to the emotional passion of some of her siblings. It invigorates the atmosphere of our family with a refreshing gust of reality.

Since it was her birthday yesterday, I have to share one of the many ways this daughter of mine has blessed this mama. This week Colonel Redeemed and Not of This World received their own email addresses. (Yes, we are a little behind the accepted norm of popular culture's youth.) Anyway, I was a little nervous about Babbling Brooke's reaction. I mean, what soon to be teenager wouldn't want their own email address. Yet, I also knew that, in our house, she wasn't old enough yet. That "fix it" mentality of wanting everyone to be happy was kicking in big time. I didn't let it show, but I kept glancing at her off and on the entire time we were setting up the older kids' accounts "just to make sure she was still ok". I was so blessed! Not once did Babbling Brooke ever show any sign of being anything other than completely happy for her brother and sister. Not one little flash of any selfishness or jealousy danced across her face at all, none, nada, nothing. Let me tell you, this mama was blessed! What a Godly young woman she was. I know that she wanted one, but it didn't even cross her mind to be the least little bit pouty or jealous. She just got excited and happy for those she loved. I am such a blessed woman. By the way, Babbling Brooke and Horsegirl did get busy right away figuring out what email addresses and passwords they want for "When we get our own".

As her mother, it has been an adventure of love to observe Babbling Brooke grow and mature into the young woman God has created her to become. Time and again I have been reminded of God's faithfulness to His children and of the perfectness of His timing. Our loving, Heavenly Father knew exactly what this family needed and He provided exactly that in Babbling Brooke. My thankfulness for this dear girl and the loyal, faithful steadfast manner she walks through her days is never-ending. I offer thanks to the Lord many times a day for the "sanity" she provides in moments of chaos. (not that we ever have chaos around here - ha) It's so fun watching her grow that while I always wish there had been more time in each season, I just can't be sad when she gets older. Every day with this girl, our third child, is full of love and laughter and something new. Yes, she speaks her mind clearly. If you don't want to know the truth, don't ask her. Babbling Brooke always says it like it is. That's one of the very dearest things about her. It makes a mother's job so much easier when the mind games of adolescent are smashed by open honesty.

Thank You Heavenly Father for Brooke. May she continue to grow in the grace and knowledge of her Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Thank You for this mighty woman of God who walks in honesty and integrity. I ask, in the name of Jesus, that You would bless her abundantly as she serves You with all her heart, soul, mind, and strength. Giving you thanks for the answer, in Jesus' name, Amen.

Popular Posts