Fish Bait for Supper

Realizing that everything unusual that happens right now will probably be chalked up to the fact that a pandemic is going on, in the interest of full disclosure, what I am about to tell you is really not that odd or unusual at our house. It is pretty much "normal" life here at Abundance House. As ridiculous as it is, I am telling it because sometimes a person needs to hear someone else's ridiculous to feel better about their own. Or, as will probably be the case with this incident, others will give God thanks they have it more together than I apparently do.

So, after what seemed a very long time of snowing and blowing and cold, the weather has warmed up - at least for this week. And, as everyone knows, certain meals go with warm weather and other meals are best eaten when the weather is cold. Yesterday was warm, legitimately so. Not the it is really cold but seems warm because it is 32 degrees instead of 45 below warm but honestly, truly warm. Knowing this helps set the scene.

While perusing the freezers for supper inspiration, a package of hot dogs caught my eye. Yes! Hot dogs! It's warm enough; hot dogs will be perfect. Are there buns? Yes! There are buns! We can have hot dogs! Yay!! Hot dogs are quick AND easy!!! Oh oh. No potato chips in the freezer. Maybe we can't have hot dogs, because hot dogs need potato chips. No potato chips. Ohhh, hot dogs were perfect. Oh wait! There are potatoes! I can make potato chips. Yay! We CAN have hot dogs after all, and so went the conversation in my mind.

I looked at the package of hot dogs and wondered whether there were enough for everyone. Hmmm. Maybe not. I'll check the other freezer to see if there is another package hiding somewhere. Happy day! There are two more packages, but one looks a little suspicious for freezer burn so it stays in the freezer. (I know. Why did I leave a freezer burnt package in the freezer? I was in getting supper mode. It was late afternoon. Only one mode at a time allowed in late afternoon.)

Anyway, I get the potatoes washed and sliced for chips and start cooking them because it takes a lot longer to get the chips cooked than it does the hot dogs. Supper is same as done when a child of mine wanders into the kitchen and looking into the pot of hot dogs asks what the brand of the brown hot dogs is. I answer and find out that I have cooked their fish bait. What?!? Seriously? So that's why it was in a different freezer. (No, I do not organize my own freezers. I would, but the disorganized state of affairs bothers my adult children long before it does me. Therefore, the freezers are cleaned and organized by others long before I get to them. I am not complaining either. Standing on my head praying for my short self not to fall in or get stuck on the edge of our chest style deep freezers is not my idea of a good time.)

It is said that the expression on my face was rather hilarious. Hilarious or not, I realized situations like this happen way too often as the only thing I thought was how glad I was I left the freezer burnt ones in the freezer.




Popular Posts