Unplanned Sabbath Rest

Social distancing and isolation aren't a big inconvenience for my family here at home. We live on a remote cattle ranch in a rather isolated location. For the most part the past few months have been business as usual for us. Cattle producers are considered essential business; people like to continue eating even during pandemics. Actually, the entire corona isolation is so much like my everyday life that I considered having a #welcometomyworld tee shirt made, but after realizing it could sound sarcastic instead of funny like I wanted I decided against the idea.

Anyway, even though our personal lifestyle hasn't been greatly altered, it has been much more relaxed. For the first time in I can't remember when everyone in our family has been able to go about  a normal working day without interruption. I honestly don't remember when we have had the luxury of "business as usual" in our lives. For years we have been operating in survival mode taking care of the necessary ranch tasks and while navigating what has seemed like a never-ending stream of crises on the side. These extended seasons of extra stressors have affected all of our immediate family, some more than others but all have felt the pressure in some way.

Not every one can say what I am going to say, but I am thankful for the social distancing and sheltering in recommended during the corona virus. God has used the social distancing recommendations during the corona virus to provide our family with a blessed Sabbath season none of us will soon forget. I can't even begin to describe how wonderful this time has been. Even though we worked as much as always, if not more, the absence of outside stress has allowed each one of us to experience rest in our spirits and souls. It has been SO nice to only be responsible for doing our regular daily work. Our plates have been full to overflowing with other stress-producing situations for so many years that I had almost forgotten how peaceful it is just to go about my days doing each day's work. The most mundane tasks are so peaceful and beautiful when they can be done in an atmosphere of peace.

During this unplanned Sabbath, I have experienced the most profound inner healing. The rest has not been a physical rest but a rest for the soul and spirit. My joy in living out the calling of God on my life is being restored, and my emotions are healthier than they have been in a very long time. Over and over again I find myself remembering how much I love being a wife, a mother, a daughter, and a Christian. My soul has begun to be restored during this time of rest, and my thankfulness to God for His gift of Sabbath goes far beyond words. I will never be able to begin to express my thanks to Him. He is good always and always He is good.

Yes, I would have loved holding my new granddaughter, my very first grandbaby, but even in this God is good. Sheltering in has allowed this sweet new baby to be safe and healthy as she grows during these first few months of life. This sweet girl arrived sooner than anticipated and needed this time at home away from germs. Even in this God is good. AND because of the inner healing God is working in me, I will be an even better mother and grandmother to my son-in-love, daughter, and granddaughter when we are able to be together again. God's goodness always. Always God's goodness.













Popular Posts