What To Do

 So, here we are in this period of time that for many feels more than a little bit crazy and out of control. When stressed or overwhelmed everyone has their own personal methods of dealing. After listening to many of the voices desperately sharing "how-to" tips and ideas for facing the holidays this year, I realized that I haven't yet heard my favorite ways to navigate stressful and/or emotionally intense seasons mentioned anywhere. Just in case someone might still be searching for a way to get through these unprecedented times, I am passing my favorites along as a sort of holiday gift to any who might be weary and worn. 

How do I navigate difficult or stressful seasons? Jesus. I focus on Jesus more intensely than I ever have before. Every time. This is what I do. I am not spouting off a Christian cliché; this is what I do in a very practical and real way.

What is the next step when the threat of sheer overwhelm looms near? Matthew 6:33. I Matthew 6:33 EVERYTHING!!! I seek FIRST the Kingdom of God and HIS way of doing and being right. I deliberately quit looking at and focusing on myself and seek Him ONLY.

And after that? After that I Proverbs 3:5,6  and trust in the Lord with ALL my heart and lean NOT on my own understanding. In ALL my ways I acknowledge Him, and believe and declare OUT LOUD that HE, and only He WILL direct my paths. 

And then? Then I repeat as necessary until I am able to sit in the stillness of His presence and listen to His specific instructions and/or words for whatever situation or circumstance I am in, no matter how long it takes me to get there. If people can wait in line for hours to eat at a certain restaurant, attend a sporting event, or see some entertainment, then I can certainly wait on the Lord God, Creator of the Universe for however long stilling my inner self requires. It does not bother me if the process is longer than I intended it to be. I feel receiving from the Lord worth any amount of waiting. Who am I to rush the Creator? Besides it takes less and less time the more often I come before Him.

What if peace doesn't come, even after I've done all of that? I make myself speak forth and/or sing scripture and/or worship songs until I have settled myself down enough inside to truly rest in Him. Some times it takes longer than others. Sometimes the battle is more intense, even fierce. There are times when I have found that reading or praying the Holy Scriptures out loud as declarations is the best choice. This is especially true if I am too close to the situation or my personal feelings and emotions are screaming louder than my faith. Praying in my prayer language, tongues, is also very effective and powerful. Even though I have prayed in tongues regularly since being filled as a child, I have noticed myself praying in tongues more and more with every passing year. It has become my default prayer mode, so to speak.

Whatever scripture(s) I pray, whatever worship songs I sing, whether I pray in English or in tongues, I don't stop until I sense breakthrough has come. I don't know how to describe breakthrough with words. It is one of those things learned by experience. I do know that it is definitely recognizable when it comes. There is an immediate peace and complete absence of fear, panic, anger, or whatever other negative emotions were present at the beginning of prayer. When breakthrough comes, all oppression and negative emotions are GONE. Even more wondrously,  the love and peace of God flow over, through, and around permeating the very atmosphere of the room and home, or whatever space I am praying in. Breakthrough is worth waiting for.

These are some of the methods I use most frequently when discouragement and overwhelm loom large. When worrisome and/or fearful thoughts and doubts mercilessly attack my mind, these are techniques I use, sometimes in combination with practical actions. For example, sometimes God uses a nice, hot bath in Epsom salts and lavender followed by a steaming cup of hot tea or coffee to relax my body and calm my mind enough I am able to hear His still sweet voice singing over me in love. Other times a burst of intense cleaning or power walking clears the cobwebs and provides the perfect accompaniment to worship and prayer. Walking sets a steady rhythm for scripture declarations and decrees of Truth. It is not uncommon for times of writing prayers in a journal to precede breakthrough.

Praying until breakthrough comes look and feels differently for each and every person. Because our relationships with God are so uniquely personal, our communion and warring in prayer will likely vary from individual to individual. Breakthrough looks and sounds different in different situations too. I have broken through with shouts, but some of the most powerful breakthroughs have come with a Holy Spirit led whisper. Listen in your spirit to the voice of God Holy Spirit. He is our teacher. He will lead. You will recognize His voice, and if you follow His leading, you will know exactly what to do and how to do it. Your ears will hear a voice behind you saying this is the way walk in it. (Isaiah 30:21)

Jesus is the Light. He is in us. We are in Him. We are therefore His light. Darkness is not in Him, and if we are walking in The Spirit, darkness will not be in us either. We can experience the blessedness of the Good News of Great Joy the shepherds were told of by the Heavenly Hosts. We, like those who have gone before us in the faith can experience true breakthrough. Troubled times are not our enemy; they are only a circumstance whose contrast magnifies God's goodness. They are not a threat to the glorious hope we have in Christ Jesus our Lord. We have been given the armor of God, and the Sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God will slash through every lie of the enemy and lead us forward into victorious breakthrough in the Name of Jesus! Through our God we shall do valiantly. It is He who shall tread down our enemies. We'll sing and shout the victory. Christ is King!

Merry Christmas to you and yours! May the Good News of Jesus be the greatest gift you receive this Christmas season!



Popular Posts