French Fried Onions

(First published Nov. 4, 2010) Reposting in case you might need some of these for your Thanksgiving Feasts next week! These homemade French fried onions from the archives are still a delish recipe.  However I would recommend that unless you want your house to smell like an onion factory, make them when the windows can be open or ventilation is available. Yes, this is experience talking.

++++++++++++++++

I made French Fried onions for the first time yesterday. They turned out amazing! Here is the recipe, it was so easy. This is a perfect way to use up those onions that might have a bad spot you can cut out, onions need to be used up before too long, an abundance of onions, or to store onions when you don't have space for the abundance of your harvest. French Fried Onions:
  • 3 large onions, sliced into thin rings- a mandolin slicer works perfect for this.
  • 2 cups milk
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • oil for frying
  • salt
Soak the sliced onions in the milk for 5 minutes. While your onions are soaking heat the oil in a large skillet or deep fryer. (I added the salt to the flour. You will just have to decide how salty you would like yours.) Take a handful of onions and run them through the flour with a fork to coat.( I separated the rings of onions before I ran them through the flour.) Fry in batches in the oil, stirring as needed to brown evenly. Drain on paper towels and season to taste. Store in an air-tight container. I put some in the freezer so they stayed fresher. Enjoy! For some reason blogger won't let me insert the pictures in the places I want, so I will put them all together in a separate post.-Not of this world

Popular Posts