Sugar Scrub Recipes!

First published April 16, 2014


Here they are --the promised sugar scrub recipes!


The wonderful thing about sugar scrubs, besides actually using them, is that you can totally experiment and adjust until you get exactly what you want!  I certainly did and I am blessed to have several testers in my house and a personal friend who were willing to be experimented on!

You can also use any oil you want. Personally, I used coconut oil in all of these recipes. But almond and olive oil can be used too. The oil mentioned in the recipes are just suggestions, and the amounts can be increased or decreased at your disscretion. In almost all of these recipes I added more oil than it says. How much more I am not sure, because I kind of just dump until it looks good and if it was too much I added a little more sugar.  Also, unless it the recipe says melted, I did not melt my coconut oil before adding. The coconut oil was in a soft but still solid state when added. I whipped these scrubs in a mixer until almost fluffy like, just to fully combine the coconut oil and make the scrub less likely to become too firm if the coconut oil became cold.

A person can also add a few drops of vitamin E oil to any and all of these recipes if they want.

Remember, these are all just suggestions and what I did personally! You do what you want and just have fun experimenting!

Pumpkin Spice Sugar Scrub

2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. white sugar
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. pumpkin pie spice
1/2 t. nutmeg
1/3 c.  or more of almond or coconut oil

Blend well. Now I personally am not that huge of a nutmeg fan so I only put in 1/4 t. and increased the cinnamon slightly. 

Chocolate Sugar Scrub

1/2 c. raw cane sugar*
1/2 c. white sugar*
1 T. cocoa baking powder -Do Not Double
1/4 c. oil of choice
1/2 t. vanilla extract
Optional - chocolate shavings from bakers chocolate square
Optional- few drops of vitamin E oil

Blend well.
*Any sugar can be used. I personally used only brown sugar in one batch I made and thought it enhanced the chocolate smell.

Honey Brown Sugar Scrub-Blessed Mama's Favorite

2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. oil of choice
1/4 c. honey
1 t. vanilla extract

Blend well.
This is the one recipe that I have not changed at all. The honey in this scrub has inspired me to eventually try honey in almost all the scrubs. However as a side note adding honey to the scrubs would increase the cost factor.

Vanilla Latte Scrub

1/2 c. finely ground coffee
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 t. vanilla extract
2 T. oil--if using coconut oil melt first
2 T. castor oil

Mix coffee and sugar well.
Add vanilla to sugar mixture.
Add oils last and mix well.
This is a drier scrub.  A little warning--the coffee if not ground finely can be most difficult to rinse off.
Note: Use of coffee as an ingredient in scrubs has been reported to reduce the appearance of cellulite, tighten skin, and reduce hair growth.

Coconut Lime Sugar Scrub

1/4 c. coconut oil-melted
1 c. white sugar
1 T. shredded coconut
6-8 drops lime essential oil*
Optional- 2 T. of coconut milk

Blend well.
* Because I do not have essential oils I improvised :) I took a real lime and zested about half of it then added a couple teaspoons of juice.
  • I also used raw flake coconut-because that is what we had on hand-and pulsed it in the food processor until in small bits.
  • Refridgeration is recommended if you do use a real lime and the coconut milk.
  • And as a side note-this looks really pretty in a clear jar with the bits of green lime mixed in the white sugar.

Now this recipe is one that I really experimented with. The first two batches I made of this I pretty much followed the recipe (because I was giving them as gifts) with the exception of using a real lime instead of essential oils. Oh, and the coconut milk, because that is my own special addition. However, on the third batch I really experimented! I didn't measure at all! I also took what was left of the can of coconut milk and attempted to whip it. It basically just got really frothy. Blessed Mama put a little of the froth (which I had put a small amount of sugar in) in her coffee and really liked it. The coconut milk has also inspired me to try making homemade ice cream with it instead of regular milk. But that is for another post!   I then added sugar, some honey, coconut oil, coconut, lime juice, and lime zest. This ended up being a really large batch!

Lemon Sugar Scrub-One of Not of This World's Favorites

2 c. sugar
1/4 to 1/3 c. oil
few drops lemon essential oil*

Blend well.

* I used the zest of a whole lemon instead of the essential oils. I also used about a teaspoon of lemon zest that we had dried.
The juice of a the whole lemon can be added too. You might want to add a bit more sugar if you did though. I saw a recipe the other day where they did this and a personal friend said she did this as well. The reason I didn't add the juice of the lemon was because it was not my lemon. It was Blessed Mama's lemon that she had for her water so I didn't want to use her juice. So, I just zested it really, really well!

Refridgeration is also recommended on this scrub if you use a real lemon.

Another adaptation I did to this was to take about half the scrub and add a couple bags of mint tea to it. It then became another of my favorites! I still have not decided whether I like the plain lemon or the lemon mint best, but they are my two favorites!

Here is a bonus bit of information--lemon and lime juice are also really good for your skin and help to eliminate dark spots such as age spots and acne scars.

Tea Sugar Scrubs

Sugar
Oil
Tea of choice-- I used a candy cane green tea in one batch and a berry blend tea in another batch.

You can make this any way and however big you want! A little warning--the tea leaves can be difficult to rinse off, so you might want to try grinding them before adding.


 I kind of went a little sugar scrub crazy and made multiple kinds at one time! While it was fun to decide each night which one to use my shower did become a little over run with jars! So after I ended up with about 6 or more jars I slowed down and just started writing down my ideas for future scrubs :)  I'll share the list of ones I want to try in the not too distant future with you here!

  • Citrus Scrub-orange, grapefruit, lemon, and lime
  • Chocolate mint scrub
  • Mocha scrub-coffee and chocolate
  • Lemon and Lime scrub
  • Herb scrub - both for medicinal and beauty purposes

Have fun experimenting! If you have an idea for a sugar scrub feel free to leave a comment and let us know!

Blessings,
Not of This World


Popular Posts