Have You Ever...

OK, I was going to concentrate really hard on enjoying the Christmas season with my family and not post much.  However...an "event" last night left me with no choice.  I  had to share yet another "Have You Ever...?" saga in my life's story. 

Last night was the baby shower of a dear friend.  Having received the best-ever receiving blanket after the birth of my last child, I now think that everyone else having a baby must receive one too.  So, as usual, instead of sewing these gifts as soon as I learned about the upcoming shower, I waited until the afternoon of and put together a couple of all-purpose cloths and one of the best-ever receiving blankets.  All went well except for the fact that after arranging everything nicely for wrapping, a little something else was needed---something like a cute little pink bunny.  No problem.  There's still a fair amount of time left, ok maybe just a little bit of time.  Anyway, the bunny is put together and stuffed.  Only there isn't time to stitch the face and sew the opening up both.  Well, reasoning that stitching the opening would be easier to do in a moving vehicle by booklight than embroidering the face, I pin the opening and stick it in the bundle just to see how cute it all looks together. 

Now things are hectic.  We need to leave in 15 minutes, I'm not dressed or fixed up, and the gift needs to be wrapped.  What does anyone reasonable woman do in a situation like this?  They do one thing at a time of course.  So I request that one child grab the wrapping paper in my room and another one grabs some ribbon.  I slap carefully place the gift bundle inside the paper, tape it up, tie on the ribbon, slip in the tag, change my clothes, throw on my face, and away we go!  Have you noticed the problem yet?  Uh-huh, in the frantic dash to get out of the door on time, I totally forgot I was going to finish sewing the bunny on the way to town.  Said bunny is now safely bundled up in an already wrapped gift.  

Imagine my horrified surprise when my friend unwrapped her gift, exclaimed over the cute bunny and pulled it out---pins and all.  AND of course I couldn't just sit there quietly and tell her about the mistake later.  Noooooooooo, I burst out "I forgot to finish sewing it together!  Oh my goodness!  I left the pins in!"  for all of the other shower goers to hear, as if they couldn't see for themselves.  Thankfully I was among friends and we all laughed together.  It was only in my wildly imaginative mind that I could hear them wondering how on earth anyone could possibly do something like that.

Oh well, I happen to know that there are still a couple of other "Have You Ever...?" stories running around out there.   Besides, I'm just adding to this year's Christmas Cheer.

Popular Posts