Settling Down and Earning the Bread We Eat

Recently while reading an article in a book on mothering, I came across this advice given by Judge Phillip Gilliam of Denver, CO.   Apparently some of the young people in his city had been asking what there was to do.  Here is the Judge Gilliam's reply:

"Go home! Hang the storm windows, paint the woodwork, rake the leaves, mow the lawn, wash the car, learn to cook, scrub the floors, repair the swing, build a boat, get a job, help the poor, study your lessons...and when you are through and not too tired, read a good book!"

What marvelous advice!  Some days I need to remember Judge Gilliam's advice myself.  Most days find me beyond happy and content at home, but sometimes...thoughts of how much more time I would have if I didn't homeschool and other discontented nonsense waft through. Those days when my thoughts begin to drift out towards the sea of discontent, I need to "Get back home! to the Word of God with my thoughts.  2 Thessalonians 3:11-12 says this "We hear that some among you are idle.  They ar enot busy; they are busybodies.  Such people we command urge in the Lord Jesus Christ to settle down and earn the bread they eat." 

So often in our society, we develop an attitude that each of us has a right to be entertained and provided with pleasant activities with which to occupy our days.  How much happier many would be if they discovered the hidden joy of being busy at home.  Even simple, humble tasks can produce great satisfaction and happiness.  If only more people in positions of authority would share such wise advice as Judge Gilliam has, what a difference would be seen among the youth.

Popular Posts