The Little Things | Above Rubies Women's Email Devotional



So much was on my heart to share today.  I sat in the bathtub aka prayer closet and inquired of the Lord what He would have me write today.  The answer?  Blessed quietness.  Well, that wasn't what I was hoping to hear.  OK, I'll just sit here and thank Him some more.  Maybe there will be an answer in a little bit.  "Lord, I thank You so much for this....for this....and for this...."  I offered up truly sincere thankfulness from the depths of my heart.  I wonder if there will be an answer yet. 

Another inquiry is made.  The Father's response?  Even more blessed quietness.  Can you hear the spoiled little girl in me grumbling inside?  Even though I know the Lord is faithful to lead in all the details of my life, I wanted to grumble because He hadn't led me *stomp of the right foot* right now when I wanted Him to. 

After all, this is the only time I have to be quiet before Him, and I've already stayed in here until the water is almost cold.  I can't stay much longer.  If I wait much longer, the door will fly open and I'll be bombarded by two small children.  How am I supposed to follow leading when there isn't any leading? 

Of course, I wasn't actually saying any of these thoughts out loud.  Nor did I actually stomp my foot.  As a matter of fact, I'm not sure I was aware of their existence until considering my prayer closet vigil in retrospect.  After...I read the following devotional from Nancy Campbell at  Above RubiesAfter...I realized the reason my Heavenly Father answered with blessed quietness was because He knew the words for today's post were waiting in my inbox.  After...it dawned on me that it wasn't that I hadn't been led.  It was that there was no need for leading.  The answer had been sent before my question had been asked.  Oh my, will I ever learn? 

Thank  You Lord for Your loving kindness and patient guidance.   Thank You also that while I still don't trust You as I should, I trust You more than I used to.  Thank You for progress.  Even if it is only a little. 

I pray that the words in the following devotional encourage, inspire, and bless every one of you as much, or even more, than they have me.  We'll get together for another visit soon.  In Christ's Love, Blessed Mama

THE LITTLE THINGS

"Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou has
been faithful over a few things, I will make thee rule over
many things: enter thou into the joy of thy Lord"
Matthew 25:21.

Doing little things can often seem so insignificant, can't
they? Especially menial things. Tedious things. The
things that you have to do over and over again like
making beds, doing laundry, doing dishes and preparing
meals. Can I remind you that no little thing is insignificant?
Little things accumulate and add up to big things. And
more important of all, God notices. He is interested in
the little things as much as the big things.

When God, who is watching over the walls of your
home, sees you faithfully and joyfully embracing your
daily tasks, it pleases His heart. He takes notice of it.
God takes as  much pleasure in the little things as He
does the big things. He created the huge mountains,
but put even more intricate design to each tiny
snowflake which you can only see under a magnifying
glass. He created the giant redwoods (you may have
driven your car through one of the trunks of these trees
in California, as we have), but He created the beauty
of the little violet and forget-me-not flowers.

God poured beauty and intricate design into the tiniest of
His creations, some that can't even be seen by the eyes of
men. You also are being transformed into the character of
God when you make beauty and joy out of your little and
menial tasks, tasks that you think are boring. Nothing is
boring when God is in it! Seek ways to do your little tasks
faster, better and more creatively. Sing while you do
them. Thank God that He is with you as you do them.

I am always challenged by Frank Bunker Gilbert in
Cheaper by the Dozen who sought to do every
household task more efficiently and quickly. He timed
his children doing each task to see if they could do it
more quickly the next time. That's why we have so
many wonderful  inventions in the world today
because people seek ways to do things quicker and
better than before! The little can lead to the amazing!

This can happen in your home every day as you bring
God into every task! It changes the boring to the
interesting; the mundane to the creative and the little to
make the way for the great.

I feel very blessed to have the privilege of encouraging
the mothers of the world and printing 160,000
magazines each time we print a new Above Rubies.
Did I start with this number? No. when I printed the
first issue over 33 years ago I printed only 1500 copies!
But it started even before I was married. I was teaching
and gave my vacation time to ministering at girls'
camps. These young girls came in from all over the
country, many from non-Christian homes. It was a joy
to lead many of them to the Lord, but I knew they
would go home to receive no encouragement in their
faith. I began writing to them and  ended up writing
regularly to over 100 girls. Looking back, I believe
that because I was faithful in that small task, God
chose me to do a bigger task and to reach thousands
and thousands of families across the world.

Many women send in poems and writings to me for
inclusion in Above Rubies. Sadly, I can't use them all. I
cannot find space for all the poems. But can I encourage
you? Don't wait to be published. Write your poem or
prose out beautifully on a lovely card and give it to
someone in need. Write poems for your husband,
children or grandchildren. Write rhymes for Name
Places at the dinner table. Write encouraging letters to
those who need uplifting. Use your writing talent for
your family and the people God puts on your heart.
As you share your writings with those around you to
bless and uplift them, God will open bigger doors.
He gives rulership to those who are faithful in the
least.

Do you feel you have a message to speak to thousands?
You may wait forever for that opportunity. Start where
you are. Bless your family with your inspirations.
Speak to everyone you meet. As you are faithful to do
this, God may open up remunerative opportunities.

Are you an artist? Paint the walls of your home. Paint
beautiful pictures to give to friends. Draw a picture
for an older person living on their own.* Decorate
cards and give them to those who need encouraging.
Use your gift to bless those around you and God
will open bigger opportunities.

Zechariah 4:10 says, "Who has despised the day of
small things?"

Love from NANCY CAMPBELL,
ABOVE RUBIES

PRAYER:

"I thank you, dear Father, that you are interested in the
little things as well as the big things. Help me to know
that you are with me in every small task I accomplish in
my home. I thank you that even the mundane things
are wonderful when you are in them. Amen."

AFFIRMATION:

I am making every little task into an amazing one!

 

* I am always looking for illustrations and beautiful
decorative borders to include in the Above Rubies
magazine. Contact me if you are interested. Nancy

Many women like to save these devotions. They print
them out and keep them in a folder to read over and
over again. Some print them out and pin them on the
fridge with a magnet to read through the week. If you
are printing this devotion and need it to be smaller,
highlight and change to a smaller font.

If you know others who would be blessed by these
devotions, you are welcome to forward them or let
them know they can subscribe by sending a blank
email to subscribers-on@aboverubies.org

 

Popular Posts