Walking Free

Recently I have been thinking about walking free in Christ and what that means.  I have personally experienced deliverance, but once we're delivered, then what?  How does a person walk free?  As is my habit when wondering about something, I turned to God's Word, the Bible.  What does it have to say about living and walking freely?  I haven't had time to sit down and dig as far into the Word as I want to on this, but so far, what I've found is exactly what I needed to know.  That's something I find to be true every time; that God's Word is exactly what I need to know---for every situation and circumstance.

John 8:31-36 AMP
"So Jesus said to those Jews who had believed in Him, If you abide in My word [hold fast to My teachings and live in accordance with them], you are truly My disciples. And you will know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free. They answered Him, We are Abraham's offspring (descendants) and have never been in bondage to anybody. What do You mean by saying, You will be set free? Jesus answered them, I assure you, most solemnly I tell you, Whoever commits and practices sin is the slave of sin. Now a slave does not remain in a household permanently (forever); the son [of the house] does remain forever. So if the Son liberates you [makes you free men], then you are really and unquestionably free."

Romans 6: 6-14 AMP
"We know that our old (unrenewed) self was nailed to the cross with Him in order that [our] body [which is the instrument] of sin might be made ineffective and inactive for evil, that we might no longer be the slaves of sin. For when a man dies, he is freed (loosed, delivered) from [the power of] sin [among men]. Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him. Because we know that Christ (the Anointed One), being once reaised from the dead, will never die again; death no longer has power over Him. For by the death He died, He died to sin [ending His relation to it] once for all; and the life that He lives, He is living to God [in unbroken fellowship with him]. Even so consider yourselves also dead to sin and your relation to it broken, but alive to God [living in unbroken fellowship with Him] in Christ Jesus. Let not sin therefore rule as king in your mortal (short-lived, perishable) bodies, to make you yield to its cravings and be subject to its lusts and evil passions. Do not continue offering or yielding your bodily members [and faculties] to sin as instruments (tools) of wickedness. But offer and yield yourselves to God as though you have been raised from the dead to [perpetual] life, and your bodily members [and faculties] to God, presenting them as implements of righteousness. For sin shall not [any longer] exert dominion over you, since now you are not under Law [as slaves], but under grace [as subjects of God's favor and mercy]."

Romans 6:17-18
"But thank God, though you were once slaves of sin, you have become obedient with all your heart to the standard of teaching in which you were instructed and to which you were committed.  And having been set free from sin, you have become the servants of righteousness (of conformity to the divine will in thought, purpose, an action)."

Romans has much to say on the subject of freedom and Colossians also contains instructions for walking freely, as does Galatians, Ephesians, etc. etc.  Yes, the entire Word of God is an entire library that deals with freedom found in Jesus Christ. 

What better time than Resurrection Week to get in the Word and find out what living and walking in the freedom Christ purchased for us?  I'm thinking that another viewing of the movie The Passion of the Christ may be helpful in putting the value of this freedom in perspection as well. 

Walking Free In Jesus

Walking free in Jesus
In the Life He bought for me
Walking free in Jesus
With Him I'll always be
Protected and loved
Cared for and kept
Never alone and
Never adrift

Through sunshine and rain
In sickness and pain
Forgiveness and healing I see
His blood frees from sin
His love is within
My healing His stripes they did buy
I'm bought with a price
Redeemed by His love
God's own, special daughter am I

Walking free in Jesus
in ways He has made
I'll tell of this gift
For salvation He paid
I'll sing the glad story 
How He ransomed me
I'll tell of His love and His care

His healing I know
His love I will show
To others who now know despair

Walking free in Jesus
There's no greater place
Than here in His mercy
Smack dab in His grace
He is my Savior
He's Risen! He Lives!
To others I'll shout loud and clear
Walking free in Jesus
It's good, come and see
He loves you
Come close, He is near

Popular Posts