A Great Host

Psalm 68:11
11 The Lord gives the word [of power]; the women who bear and publish [the news] are a great host.

Not wanting to take scripture out of context, I want to clarify from the beginning that I am NOT saying the above verse refers specifically to women bloggers. Everyone clear on that? That is NOT what I am saying.

It does make me think of bloggers though. The first time I read it, a flash of wonder zapped through me. "That's what bloggers who are followers of Christ do! They publish the news of the Lord and His goodness, and they are indeed a great host." Not every blogger is a disciple of Jesus, and not every professing Christian publishes the news of the Lord. However, there is a great and mighty army of women, and yes men, who regularly pour the heart of God out into the whole world over. Mighty men and women of God hidden in the unexpected places of the small and insignificant publish the deep hidden truths of God's Word day in and day out. Blogs such as A Holy Experience by Ann Voskamp and Chatting At the Sky by Emily Freeman along with a host of others pour their lives out as a living offering to Jesus through the typed word.

God's Word is offered in many more locations than blogs. Has there ever been a time in the history of mankind where the teaching, even preaching, of the Word of God was as available as it is today? Once upon a time, in the not so distant past, a person who lived in a remote area had few opportunities to hear the Word of God preached. Ministers of the Gospel of Christ ministered by traveling throughout the countryside on horseback. Services were scattered and infrequent. Today, this is not so. Through internet and satellite television, books, and radio, spiritual food abounds. Bloggers are a part of God's rich abundance. What a humbling responsibility to be a blogger for Jesus.

Not only is the preaching of the Gospel's Good News available for all to receive, fellowship with other believers thrives online as well. Remote locations need not result in isolation. Followers of Christ need not starve from the lack of fellowship with other believers. Refreshing streams of fellowship can be found springing up all over the internet. Encouragment, teaching, training, mentoring, godly conversations, prayer, support, are all available for all who choose to participate.

There is a question that won't go away and leave me alone though: In the abundance of ministry and spiritual food, do I appreciate the banquet that is available? OR Have I gotten fat and lazy, expecting to be ministered to, even viewing it as "my right"? Have I remembered that I am not to consume only but to also serve the bread of His Word to others? (Matthew 20:26) To whom much is given, much is required. (Luke 12:48) Oh Lord! I have been given so much. May I not become a spiritual glutton, regularly partaking of Your Word yet failing to share it with those around me. In Jesus' Name, Amen - may it be so.

Popular Posts