Thanksgiving, Am I Thankful?

Thanksgiving is one week from tomorrow. One week until Thanksgiving means a mere five weeks until Christmas. Before Christmas, however, there is Thanksgiving. Those words soak into my consciousness with a soothing warmth "Before Christmas, there is Thanksgiving."

Yes, every thing must be led by a "before". Something always comes before. More accurately, Someone always come before. God. God always comes before. Before everything, there was God. "In the beginning God created..." (Genesis 1:1) "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God." (John 1:1,2) Sometimes I forget this. Sometimes I forget who He is, who I am. Sometimes I forget it all.

I forget. Wait. Do I? Do I really, truly forget or do I choose not to remember? Not sure I want to go here, but pressing on still. Oh sure, I'm busy. Husband, seven children, homeschooling, it's a given my days are full. Yet busy doesn't excuse me. Every day is filled with decisions. Every word, each action and attitude, all of them are choices. Whether they are chosen intentionally or by default, all are decisions, decisions I have made. Sobering thought that it is, I alone am responsible for every single one of them.

Thanksgiving. This is about Thanksgiving. Intentionally thankful decisions of word, thought, and deed are a refreshing consideration to be sure. Especially this year when the house is ringing with the loud and full sounds of a large family. A tired, hungry baby vents frustration at being left behind as brother and sister run out to play while hormonally influenced sisters unknowingly lash sharp. Yes, Before Christmas, Thanksgiving must come.

Thankful for Much,
Abundantly Blessed

Popular Posts