This has been reposted from a previous post. Please note that raisins, dates, and other fruit are to be added after baking in the oven. Trust us on this. We found out the hard way:)
Here is the yummiest granola recipe that our family has ever tasted! So far, it has met with unanimous approval from everyone. We did add some extra ingredients to our test batch, and you can too. This is one of those feel free to experiment and adapt to the preferences of your own family. Without further adieu, here is Yummy Homemade Granola.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 cups oatmeal
* One batch filled a 1/2 gallon glass jar.
* We added almonds, chopped dates, and wheat germ. Yummy, yum, yum. Raisins and coconut flakes are some other ingredients that have been suggested to try next time. Any dried fruit or nut would be delicious.
You may be wondering where the "less" part of living large is in this recipe. The actual recipe itself isn't that costly, especially for the coupon using sale shopper. The ingredients are much the same as those used in homemade cookies. We were able to add extras such as nuts and dates that we have accumulated through sales over a period of several months. Even with the added expense of nuts (they are outrageous at the grocery store), this granola is still easier on the budget than purchasing granola already made. Granola cereal is definitely on the pricier side of cereals, and there's no way that it tastes as good as this homemade version. Another plus is how quickly this recipe stirs up.
Here are some uses for Yummy Homemade Granola (if it lasts long enough:D)
- Fill a pretty container for gift giving
- Sprinkled on yogurt for a quick and satisfying breakfast
- Topping for ice cream or pudding(think how delicious this would be combined with the rich creaminess of homemade ice cream)
- Sprinkled lightly over the top of muffin batter prior to baking
- As a topping for cheesecake or cream pie