Writer? Get Real

Last month Emily Freeman at Chatting At The Sky published a series on writing. One of the posts dealt with how comfortable, or not,  other writers were with saying they are a writer. I write a blog. However, I have never truly considered myself a writer, just a woman who writes. To refer to myself as a writer would have seemed ridiculous before reading Emily's series about writing.

Honestly, the only reason I write is because words seem to come out better when written than when spoken. Countless times I just had to say something or burst, but couldn't. Either there wasn't anyone to listen or else, ok confession coming, whatever words were burning to escape weren't "right". They weren't what ought to be coming out of a Christian. They were, well, they were real. And every perfectionist knows that real will get you in trouble. Real usually isn't perfect. Real might hurt someone. Real might sound stupid. Real might actually be stupid. Real reveals what everyone, except the escaping perfectionist, already knows, I'm not perfect. Real throws open the front door, raises the windows, and allows the world to witness reality, ugly reality that tattles on a person. It screams loud that I don't always have my act together. I do get irritated. My children do behave badly; I do too.There are disagreements in our home. Sometimes I get hurt. Sometimes I do the hurting. Scathing, unChristlike words can be written out then burned or deleted. Speaking doesn't afford that luxury. My Beloved would say it's a control thing. That sure seems to come up a lot lately ~ smile. 

Real instantly brings the story of  The Velveteen Rabbit to mind. The toy rabbit is in the nursery talking with the rocking horse. Having been in the nursery for many years, the horse describes what being real means to the rabbit. Being real means having your fur rubbed off. In general, it means being loved hard. Being loved hard sounds kind of romantic in print. The process however contains pain. Newness wears off. Threads wear thin. The shiny becomes snagged and dull. Stuffing pokes out here and there through the holes. Yes, being real comes through being loved hard; yet, only love understands and desires real.

Love, it always comes back around to love, doesn't it? That means it always comes back around to God; for God is love. "For God(love) so loved the world that He(love) gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believeth on Him(love) should not perish but have everlasting life." John 3:16 (parentheses mine)

 It's time for me to go now. Thank you for allowing me to be real and for sharing your lives and hearts with A Mother's Rewards. There are many places you could be right now, and yet here you are visiting me. It's always a pleasure to have you stop by. Have a peacefully sweet time in our Savior Christ Jesus. If you haven't met our Savior Jesus, please do. There are many decisions you may regret in your life, but accepting Jesus as Savior isn't one of them. I promise.

* The following scriptures were referred to in the above article: 1 John 4 (specifically verses 7,8) and 1 Corinthians 13.

A Mother's Rewards may be contacted at amothersrewards@gmail.com.


Popular Posts