Being God's Friend

Today is the last day of August. "Being God's Friend" is the final post in our Posts From the Past series. I pray these Posts From the Past have refreshed and encouraged you this month. I also pray that we are able to continue growing together in Love during the coming months. God has good things for us. Such an exciting time to be alive! Now, "Being God's Friend"...

"...and he was called God's friend."  James 2:23

" You [are like] unfaithful wives [having illicit love affairs with the world and breaking your marriage vow to God]! Do you not know that being the world's friend is being God's enemy?  So whoever chooses to be a friend of the world takes his stand as an enemy of God.  James 4:4 AMP

Abraham was called God's friend.  James 2:23 - "And [so] the Scripture was fulfilled that says, Abraham believed in (adhered to, trusted in, and relied on) God, and this was accounted to him as righteousness (as conformity to God's will in thought and deed), and he was called God's friend."   The old testament says the same thing in Isaiah 2:8 "But you, Israel, My servant, Jacob, whom I have chosen, the offspring of Abraham My friend."  It shows up again in 2 Chronicles 20:7 "Did not You, O our God, drive out the inhabitants of this land before Your people Israel and give it forever to the descendants of Abraham Your friend?"  Abraham wasn't just reported to be God's friend one time in the Bible.  The fact that Abraham was called God's friend was found three times---maybe more than that.  I only had time for a very small search. 

What did Abraham do to be called God's friend?  All I can do is see what it says in Scripture.  The verse in James 2 says that Abraham believed in God; he adhered to, trusted in, and relied on Him.  James 2:23 goes on to say that this was "accounted to him as righteousness".  Righteousness is defined in this verse as conformity to God's will in thought and deed.  I believe in God, but do I adhere to Him?  When something is adhered to another it sticks pretty close, really close.  Do I adhere myself to God?  Do I conform to His will in thought and deed?  My deeds may not be so far off, but my thoughts... Do I conform my thoughts to God's will?  Hmmm, maybe I ought to ponder on a different part of Scripture.  A verse about how much God loves me perhaps.  *smile*  No, I think this is exactly where I'm supposed to be, conforming my thoughts and deeds to God's will is a definite mark of friendship. 

I want to be God's friend.  I want Him to be able to share any and every secret He desires with me.  I don't want to be like the unfaithful wife having illicit affairs James 4:4 talks about.  Being an enemy of God is NOT how I want to be known.  Even more importantly, it's not how I want God to see me.  When He thinks of me, I want Him to be able to call me friend as He did Abraham.  If I'm completely honest with myself, if I look way down deep in the darkest places of myself though there are still areas that resemble the unfaithful wife and enemy more than a friend.  Thank You, Lord for revealing those areas of unfaithfulness so that I can confess them before You and receive Your forgiveness. (1 John 1:9) I am so grateful that You love me so much, that You care enough to correct.  How much better it is to have sin revealed and repented of than to go on through life unaware.  Thank You, God.  I ask, in the name of Jesus, that You would make me a woman You can call Your friend.  May I learn of You and believe in, adhere to, trust in, and rely on You.  In Jesus' name, Amen

"Oh, I want to know You more
Deep within my heart I want to know You
Oh I want to know You
To feel Your heart and know Your mind
Looking in Your eyes stirs up within me
Cries that say I want to know You
Oh I want to know You more."
--worship chorus

Popular Posts