Distracted...By Jesus

“Therefore then, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses [who have borne testimony to the Truth], let us strip off and throw aside every encumbrance (unnecessary weight) and the sin which so readily (deftly and cleverly) clings to and entangles us, and let us run with patient endurance and steady and active persistence and appointed course of the race that is set before us. Looking away [from all that will distract] to Jesus, Who is the Leader and the Source of our faith [giving the first incentive for our belief] and is also its Finisher [bringing it to maturity and perfect]. He, for the joy [of obtaining the prize] that was set before Him, endured the cross, despising and ignoring the shame, and is now seated at the right hand of the throne of God.” Hebrews 12:1,2

Did you see that? It says “Looking away from all that will distract to Jesus…” God knew we would face distractions! Not only that, He gave us instructions for handling them: look away from. No matter how easy it is for me to be distracted, it is NOT forgone conclusion. I don’t have to get distracted. I can look away from what/whoever is distracting. Not just look away though. Look away to Jesus. Mmmmmmmm, how sweet the solution: look away to Jesus. Just have to say the words out loud again, “Looking away [from all that will distract] to Jesus, Who is the Leader and the Source of our faith [giving the first incentive for our belief] and is also its Finisher [bringing it to maturity and perfect].” “He, for the joy [of obtaining the prize] that was set before Him, endured the cross, despising and ignoring the shame, and is now seated at the right hand of the throne of God.”

Jesus didn’t merely endure. He despised and ignored the shame. Being hung on a cross was a shameful death; it was considered a curse, utter humiliation. Yet Jesus endured, despised, and even ignored this intense shame. “A servant is not greater than his/her master.” If Jesus did, then I too can, I must, through Him.

Most likely, the shame I face won’t be that of crucifixion. The shame that faces Christians in America today comes in many other forms. It is an unseen, easily missed enemy that sneakily seeps its way into the very fiber of life. Popular, mainstream media portrays a faulty image of what “Christian” and “born again” is to millions of unsuspecting, gullible people. Sad fact that it is, this incorrect image of the saints of God contains just enough reality to seem accurate. Not only that, the saints themselves frequently believe the world’s view and allow an ungodly world system to dictate their lifestyle. Rather than living and walking as overcoming children of God who have been set free by Christ, Christian believers, myself included, all too often find themselves trapped by the very system and bondage Christ set them free from.

On a regular, if not daily basis, I need to ask myself: Which Kingdom am I living in? Whose report will I believe? God has given me truth through Him, will I listen to the lies that satan is propagating through this world’s system? I need to stop, strip off, and throw aside every unnecessary weight and sin that would entangle me. I must look away from all that will distract to Jesus. Jesus, oh how sweet the name.

Another thought just came. If I am looking away from all that would to distract to Jesus, then I am being distracted from distractions by Him. That would make Jesus the ultimate distraction. Being distracted by Jesus. Now that’s a fun thought. Oh yeah, I’m liking the thought of being distracted by Jesus. Definitely gonna have to think on this some more. uh, hmm, yes ma’am. I’m thinking on this some more.

Popular Posts